Roman Metal Working Site - Hammered & Roman Silver...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was keen to return to this site as it has had a deep plough since we last searched it.
I took a newbie with me (as my new driver) to replace Cru'dad after he moves away, closer to Grandkids. He got 4 Roman Coins & a Spindle Whorl, so was a happy camper.
4 hours of just wandering, so as to get an idea of how much has come up.
We will grid next visit.

13 Scrappies
Roman Hob-Nail
Roman Locking Mech. Terminal
Bottom of a Roman Fantail Brooch
Roman Lead Weight
Hammered Penny of Ed I?
Roman Silver (Yet to be IDed)

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Upvote 30
Roman silver is RIC46 or a variant I think. Denarius of Geta with a Minerva reverse.

Jamie

Roman silver is RIC46 or a variant I think. Denarius of Geta with a Minerva reverse.

Jamie
Cru'dad agrees with Geta. Funny enough with the young boys head it was my first guess in the field.

I was keen to return to this site as it has had a deep plough since we last searched it.
I took a newbie with me (as my new driver) to replace Cru'dad after he moves away, closer to Grandkids. He got 4 Roman Coins & a Spindle Whorl, so was a happy camper.
4 hours of just wandering, so as to get an idea of how much has come up.
We will grid next visit.

13 Scrappies
Roman Hob-Nail
Roman Locking Mech. Terminal
Bottom of a Roman Fantail Brooch
Roman Lead Weight
Hammered Penny of Ed I?
Roman Silver (Yet to be IDed)

View attachment 2167774View attachment 2167775View attachment 2167776View attachment 2167777
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Good recoveries. How is this site determined to be a Roman metal working site? Have there been other items found there that are typical to such activities of a Roman era metal working site?

Good recoveries. How is this site determined to be a Roman metal working site? Have there been other items found there that are typical to such activities of a Roman era metal working site?
Its actually an Iron Age Metal Working Site that was taken over & controlled by a Roman Cavalry unit. We have done geophysical surveys that show the horse training area & found a Calvary Spur in the same area. The proof is many things but mostly the blackened soil, & within this area lots of slag/metal workings. See picture 1 in this post for just a fraction of the bits we find;
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/roman-metal-working-site-day-3.379808/
Its a site of National importance as we have proved through lead test pieces that they were making 4th C Roman Military Buckles. The type that they knew were produced here in the South of England but unsure where. We have also found 1st C AD Lead test pieces of Roman Rings.

Good day out for recoveries.
Congrats on the 2 silvers.
Interesting site and the previous link to the posting 11 yrs ago.
A site that just keeps giving.

Good day out for recoveries.
Congrats on the 2 silvers.
Interesting site and the previous link to the posting 11 yrs ago.
A site that just keeps giving.
Its a massive area. Made up with a joining Site that we named Fan's Site. Show signs of domestic living, quern stone & pottery etc & the Metal working area. Basically a small village.

Its a massive area. Made up with a joining Site that we named Fan's Site. Show signs of domestic living, quern stone & pottery etc & the Metal working area. Basically a small village.
When you refer it as massive, what approximate acres would that be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back