Roman Metal Working Site - Day 5- Roman Silver & Treasure Ring...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's starting to get a bit cooler & the layers are being added. We made the most of a somewhat wet day by squeezing in a 3 hour hunt during the best window. Only got a bit wet at the end.
We were aiming for a Roman Silver or a Celtic Silver, we felt this should be possible with the larger turn the field had. It took until after lunch but I finally found one.

18 Scrappies
Bit of Roman Bracelet
1793 South Wales Farthing - A scarce token I had no idea about. A good looking addition to the Token collection.
AD201 Roman Denarius of Sept Sev.
OTWBTTC - Roman Silver Ring (I picked it off the top) - Declarable Treasure.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 10
Well done getting a couple of Roman silvers.

It's a nice assortment of finds.
Without knowledge, that silver ring would not be recognized as a treasure, I think.

Finding just one of those "scrappies" would absolutely make my day, looking like some 4th century sestertius showing there is a nice continuation of occupation during that Romano British era at that fantastic site youve got there.
I like reading really old antiquarian books especially old historical accounts that tend to differ from modern narratives? sometimes very much too.
I dont know what the modern scholars say but according to the accounts of old, Severus lost a staggering 50.000 men campaigning in the north (he wasnt fighting the Scots who where still living in Ireland at that time)
And all of the old chronicles pre 20th century going right back to the Monk Bede in the 7th century credit the building of "Hadrians" wall to Severus. In fact it was known anciently in the native British tongue as the "Gwal Sevyr".
....thought I'd just add.😃

Very nice :hello2:
Let us know if you can see etching on the ring, what symbols, if any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back