Roman coin

sajtikus

Mar 17, 2024
Can you give me some information about this coin, you can barely see the face on the obverse. Possibly goridan?

-bronze
-1,5-2cm in diameter

IMG_7343.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7344.jpeg
    IMG_7344.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 21
Can you give me some information about this coin, you can barely see the face on the obverse. Possibly goridan?

-bronze
-1,5-2cm in diameter

View attachment 2163872
Giving a size of 1.5-2cm isn't a very accurate measurement.
Need MM
Also where was it recovered (State or County)
Thanks

Upvote 0
I believe the reverse side shows Sol, sometimes called Sol Invictus ("Unconquered Sun") who was the solar deity in Ancient Roman religion.
Sol standing slightly left, head left, radiate, nude but for chlamys over shoulders and left arm, raising right hand commanding the sun to rise, globe in left hand; similar to this coin:
1723647967203.png

Don in SoCal

Upvote 1
One of the final times in which a deity from the fading Roman religion was utilized on a coin, the Soli Invicto Comiti type, an exhortation to the unconquerable sun god, was used by Constantine in order to show, by extension, his invincibility as well. You might use the era of Constantine as the most recent time period for your coin. If the obverse can be further cleaned, a more precise attribution might be available.
Don......

Upvote 1
One of the final times in which a deity from the fading Roman religion was utilized on a coin, the Soli Invicto Comiti type, an exhortation to the unconquerable sun god, was used by Constantine in order to show, by extension, his invincibility as well. You might use the era of Constantine as the most recent time period for your coin. If the obverse can be further cleaned, a more precise attribution might be available.
Don......
I can not clean it more unfortunately..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back