Rolex best find of the year I hope

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got it at a gun show not a garage sale but there is not much difference lot of over priced junk at both and everyone looking for underpriced treasure. Guy said he took it in trade 15 years ago and allowed $500 sold it to me for $350. Similar ones have exceeded $3500 on ebay. I am sure it is real and was told I will get my money back if it was not, I have dealt with the seller a lot before so trust him. This is pretty much the same model worn by Bond in Live and Let Die is why it is so popular. Here it is lets see how how it goes it is my best find this year if it goes well. I never like to count the chickens till they hatch so I will be anxious to see if it gets paid for and if it gets returned.

Rolex Mod 5513 Submariner watch and strap | eBay

I hate dealing with paypal but ebay gives you no choice. last Rolex I sold went for $2800 then the guy complained it did not work and paypal froze my account. I agreed to pay $600 to get it cleaned and when I refunded $600 paypal charged my credit card $3400. Ended up okay but I sure did not like the big charge on the card.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get it tested. It sounds like you lucked into the real deal. Congrats!

There are lots of fakes, some of them very good. I would take it to a watch shop that is a Rolex dealer to get it checked out first.

One way to test if its genuine is to time the second hand,The second hand on a rolex doesnt tick,its a smooth constant motion and very hard to counterfeit,time it with a stop watch and see if the rolex 20 seconds is a legit 20 seconds. There are fakes with a constant motion second hand but even those are high end and bring in a handsome sum of cash.

One way to test if its genuine is to time the second hand,The second hand on a rolex doesnt tick,its a smooth constant motion and very hard to counterfeit,time it with a stop watch and see if the rolex 20 seconds is a legit 20 seconds. There are fakes with a constant motion second hand but even those are high end and bring in a handsome sum of cash.
.............All self wind auto watches has second hands that don't tick but run on a smooth constant motion.........

jerseyben,

Knowlege, I'm presently wearing an Omega Classic automatic, ca. 1969. I picked it up at a garage sale about four years ago for $2. I did have to spend $50 to have it cleaned, but I consider it one of my best buys. Good watches are not common, but they are out there, I run across about one a year.

Some people just don't know the true value on some things. I don't think it's the buyer's job to inform them. I ask the price, they say $X, I pay $X. They are happy, I am happy. If the seller is happy getting the price they asked for a certain item, am I wrong not inform them of it's actual value?

I go out of my way to be fair with people at garage sales. I figure if a person puts up an ad, lays everything out on a table with a price attached, if I pay that price, then I haven't taken advantage of anyone. I almost never haggle. If I know that what I'm buying will net me a good profit, why take advantage of what is already a good deal. I love it when I come behind some "urban predator" who became disgusted with a vendor, just because they wouldn't come down on what was already a steal of a price. I smile and gladly pay what the person asked, wish them a good day and move on to the next sale.

I go out of my way to be fair with people at garage sales. I figure if a person puts up an ad, lays everything out on a table with a price attached, if I pay that price, then I haven't taken advantage of anyone. I almost never haggle. If I know that what I'm buying will net me a good profit, why take advantage of what is already a good deal. I love it when I come behind some "urban predator" who became disgusted with a vendor, just because they wouldn't come down on what was already a steal of a price. I smile and gladly pay what the person asked, wish them a good day and move on to the next sale.
I hear you. I've done the same thing in regards to the "urban predator" more than once for sure. I will haggle when necessary though. Most people are fair and no haggling is required on the items I pick. Although it's not my job to inform them of the value of something, I have on occasion. Just last weekend this couple had a fairly new front loading washer and dryer for sale. The items were from her mothers estate. For some unknown reason, the wife asked how much they wanted for them. They said $75 each, I knew that was way too low and told them so (it was a very nice set). I said, "don't sell them for any less than $250 for the pair and start at $300". They also had multiple boxes on the porch, unpacked, and it was raining, so the day was kind of a washout. The next day I went back to check out the boxes they had and asked them about the washer and dryer, they just sold them for $275, almost double than what they wanted originally. I could have grabbed them up for $75 a piece the day before and made a quick $100 myself, but I don't like dealing with large items (or craigslist) for the most part. That was my good deed for the week. lol

I will pass on real value to people once in a while, especially if it is something too large (as in your case), or if I just don't have the cash for it and it is something that needs to be preserved for someone who will appreciate it.

Well it went for $2909! I have not been paid yet but have been contacted and payment is supposed to happen today. The guy sold it so cheap because to him $350 was a lot for a watch. Some Rolex watches will not sell for huge bucks but most are worth at least $500. He seemed to think it had lost value with age which is not true. I gave him asking price no haggling, I will often do that if I think they price is right. Same guy same show I bought a scope for $10 that sold for $117 and a barrel for $50 that I got $245 out of. Again no haggling on the prices that is what he wanted and that is what he got. Percentage wise I did better on the scope then the Rolex.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Do genuine Rolex watches "tick"?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]This has been a big misconception regarding Rolex watches, "sweeping" versus "ticking". And in the past people used this as a method of identifying counterfeit Rolex watches. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]The truth is, genuine Rolex watches do, in fact, "tick". However, they tick at around 5 to 6 times per second, so it gives the illusion of "sweeping" or "floating" around the dial. If you watch the second hand with a loupe you can see it. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]In the past, cheap counterfeits would utilize quartz movements, and thus would "tick" once per second. However, these days counterfeits use mechanical movements that appear to "float", but only at around 3 to 4 times per second. This gives what we call a "choppy step", and can also be spotted with a loupe. [/FONT]

Do genuine Rolex watches "tick"?
This has been a big misconception regarding Rolex watches, "sweeping" versus "ticking". And in the past people used this as a method of identifying counterfeit Rolex watches.
The truth is, genuine Rolex watches do, in fact, "tick". However, they tick at around 5 to 6 times per second, so it gives the illusion of "sweeping" or "floating" around the dial. If you watch the second hand with a loupe you can see it.
In the past, cheap counterfeits would utilize quartz movements, and thus would "tick" once per second. However, these days counterfeits use mechanical movements that appear to "float", but only at around 3 to 4 times per second. This gives what we call a "choppy step", and can also be spotted with a loupe.
I was gonna refer you to this thread when first posted, because I know you know watches, until I saw that drbecker knows his Rolex's too. :icon_thumright:

I was gonna refer you to this thread when first posted, because I know you know watches, until I saw that drbecker knows his Rolex's too. :icon_thumright:

I like watches, but don't know too much about them. I have enough geek happening with coins and relics so I tend to leave watches to just wearing them. However, I did know that automatic watches tick, even a Rolex. The Seiko Spring Drive is about as smooth as it gets.

I was watching this one. Would have bid on it if I was home. It was a great deal for both the seller and the buyer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back