Rocks with holes - probably nothing but worth a look?

Chessmen Trip

Feb 6, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these in a river bed in Texas, probably nothing more than a product of water and time but I thought it may be worth a second opinion on the off chance they're more than that. Thanks for looking!

R1.pngr2.pngr3.pngr4.png

Last edited:
The smaller one looks like a fishing weight and the big one might possibly have been a shaft sraightner but I'm not saying that with any certainty.

Upvote 0
It's difficult to gauge size of the larger stone by the picture, but the depth of the hole from end to end is probably 2-3 inches and it is quite heavy.

Upvote 0
the big one looks promising as something; but as to what, I am not sure. It just seems like too nice and deep of a hole.

Upvote 0
The larger whitish one is archeological, and the hole portion is sure not produced by nature. I would say Indian artifact, but you will need to do more investigation on who used stones as such.

The other is not worn the same and has some natural weathering appearance. As another has mentioned some might have selected and worked it into a fishing weight.

Upvote 0
Sorry, there is nothing there I am seeing that says artifacts, no sign of drilling in the stones based on pictures posted.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A possible fire stone put the stick in it and twist ???? Indian spear sharpener if they aren't they should be LOL

Upvote 0
I concur the bigger one could be an artifact, especially. If it where a fossil crinoid had been, there should have been little ridges on the inside.

Upvote 0
Chessman, nature does not form holes in rocks like you show. Particularly the larger one, it shows abrasion use as a tool or the like. Nature uses water erosion (continued water drops), mineral dissolution (loss of elements by minerals dissolving over time), and the like. What you found is archeological. Learn of who lived in the area in the past and the crafts they utilized to live by.

Upvote 0
Fishing tool great find.

Oh ya they definatly are artifacts.I agree the littler ones are fishing weights and the larger ones were used on the corners of a fish net for fast emersion to trap the fish.No doubt these were indian made.check your local are and look for tribes known to be there.Great find thank you for sharing .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That aint natural at all bro! Not sure what they are but if you found them in the same location I would love to find someone who found the same things and proved they were not artificial. Thanks for sharing, gives me something else to look for as I search.

Upvote 0
In the 20+ years walking streams, creeks and fields of Missouri I found hundreds like these posted, all natural.

Upvote 0
In the 20+ years walking streams, creeks and fields of Missouri I found hundreds like these posted, all natural.

Nothing at all stands out on the big one as a potential artifact? I have always been very attentive of river stones (not for 20+ years though!) and never found one with such a precise hole while simultaneously of this ones size. Again, your knowledge surely supersedes mine I'm just wishful is all. :P

If it's of any benefit to know, these were found in any area rumored to be one of the oldest continually inhabited sites in the US.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could indicators of drill holes not have been eroded and smoothed down as a result of being in a riverbed for X years?

Upvote 0
fishing weights were lost often so the labor it took to drill a stone would not be the best choice to make one. Weights were typically tied on using quick to make knocked off indents on each side of the stone, or for bigger ones, a quick and fairly crude pecked out ring around the circumference. Rocks with holes are very common to find and for artifacts the dead give away is how the hole was made. These rocks do not show the method you would expect to use for an artifact.

Upvote 0
Nothing at all stands out on the big one as a potential artifact? I have always been very attentive of river stones (not for 20+ years though!) and never found one with such a precise hole while simultaneously of this ones size. Again, your knowledge surely supersedes mine I'm just wishful is all. [emoji14]

If it's of any benefit to know, these were found in any area rumored to be one of the oldest continually inhabited sites in the US.
I found many with perfectly round holes in them, they were not artifact, they were geofacts.

Upvote 0
Look in the treasure signs and symbols threads. They have a meaning

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
To see the work on them. Lightly dampen. Large one has etching on it. I also use mineral oil. Olive will darken it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Seems to be some confusion posted.

The holes in the rocks were not made by nature.

As several have posted they are Indian artifacts, used with string as end-of-net weights. Used for fishing.

Upvote 0
INDIANS TIED THAT TO THE END OF A HEMP ROPE AND WORN THE APPOINENTS AWS OUT. NICE ARTIFACTS.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back