rock or gem ??,,,, THE VERDICT !!

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
good morning,new to t-net but not new to treasure hunting...i found this ? in a creek about a mile south of the mississippi petrified forest,not sure what to call it...any ideas or facts would be greatly appreciated... i hope i cropped the pics right !! Thanks..

Attachments

• DSC02715.JPG
    DSC02715.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 974
Re: rock or gem ??

:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• smoky_elestial_Quartz.jpg
    smoky_elestial_Quartz.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 698
  • rkxl119s.jpg
    rkxl119s.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 711
  • Medium%20Smoky%20Quartz%20elestial%20%203010%203.jpg
    Medium%20Smoky%20Quartz%20elestial%20%203010%203.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 701
  • imagesCA0GABIV.jpg
    imagesCA0GABIV.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 677
  • elestial-quartz-620002B.jpg
    elestial-quartz-620002B.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 718
Upvote 0

dscott67 said:
ok,i'll show you some pics of some wood and the only type i've found there,and a petrified piece of bone part of the spine we think !! i do have some smaller stuff that i'll have to get my hands on !!i don't know what trees had sap during that time period,but anything is possible maybe even a conclusion,but i don't think it's glass due to the structure but there could be a possibility that it was some after effect of melted sap ?? during the heated period ?? idk !!
The bone you have I believe is a coffin bone from a horse or mule. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• coffin bone.jpg
    coffin bone.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 652
Upvote 0

yep ! that's what that is ! that piece of bone came out of a load of gravel that was around 40-60 ft in the ground, i apprieciate the confirmation on the bone,it's like a rock and sounds like a rock when you tap it,not hollow sounding like any bone would be ,and heavy! thank you broken knee !!

Upvote 0

trixie charger said:
this is a strong possibility,and would be a good find if it's a 100% that,thanks trixie !!!! and are the specimens in the photos yours ? if they are those are super nice !!

Upvote 0

No these aren't mine, I happen to remember I had seen one before and used Google!. I have so many Gem's and minerals I dint take many pics. I do have one specimen, just cant find it :tongue3:.

Upvote 0

dscott67 said:
yep ! that's what that is ! that piece of bone came out of a load of gravel that was around 40-60 ft in the ground, i apprieciate the confirmation on the bone,it's like a rock and sounds like a rock when you tap it,not hollow sounding like any bone would be ,and heavy! thank you broken knee !!
Welcome to TN glad I could help.
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Broken knee said:
dscott67 said:
ok,i'll show you some pics of some wood and the only type i've found there,and a petrified piece of bone part of the spine we think !! i do have some smaller stuff that i'll have to get my hands on !!i don't know what trees had sap during that time period,but anything is possible maybe even a conclusion,but i don't think it's glass due to the structure but there could be a possibility that it was some after effect of melted sap ?? during the heated period ?? idk !!
The bone you have I believe is a coffin bone from a horse or mule. :icon_thumright:
Wow, I looked at the pic and saw some bilateral symetery-could have been anything to me. You find a diagram indicating it is the hoof of a foal. I'm seriously impressed!

Upvote 0

had a vet look at it ,it's for certain a coffin bone, and is petrified but from what century is undetermined... and so is the animal that wore it,as it is of the warmblood uncloven hoof perky ear type with a mane and tail !! :laughing9:

Attachments

• DSC02761.JPG
    DSC02761.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 616
  • DSC02762.JPG
    DSC02762.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0

dscott67 said:
had a vet look at it ,it's for certain a coffin bone, and is petrified but from what century is undetermined... and so is the animal that wore it,as it is of the warmblood uncloven hoof perky ear type with a mane and tail !! :laughing9:
Maybe you could send it to your state university to have it radiocarbon dated. It would be interesting to know how old it is. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

i'm gonna check it out,i'm curious myself !! i think i need to remove the green check,i'm waiting on a reply from"the mineral and gemstone king" !!!

Upvote 0

KEYSHUNTER said:
have you found more?? could just be melted glass from a long lost campfire with a conglomerate substance sticking to it,glass was heavy back in the days....or sap that will look like melted glass ,sort of something with a volcanic heat?? sounds like a mystery..
these are the other ones i picked up,actually two items,i seperated the one into three and if i'm not mistaken it fractured one sided even acording to what i've read over the last couple of days,remember even though i collect some i'm not gem/mineral savvy!! but i'm learning !

Attachments

• DSC02771.JPG
    DSC02771.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC02773.JPG
    DSC02773.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC02774.JPG
    DSC02774.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 523
Upvote 0

chadrack said:
That stone appears to me to be dogtooth calcite. And a nice one too.
i'm going to check that out also,not getting anywhere with it anywhere else either,may have to take it to the university,thanks for checkin it out,i needed another lead !! :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

I hope you have the horse coffin bone age-dated. If it is petrified, it's way old as the early horse died out in the Western Hemisphere during the Ice Age and its descendant the modern horse wasn't introduced to this hemisphere until the European invasions in the 1500's. I'm no expert in anything, but come to think of it, isn't any petrified object a silica (or similar) replacement of what was originally there? If so, not organic and maybe it can't be dated? Anyone know the answer to this? Andi

Upvote 0

unaltered preservation (like insects or plant parts trapped in amber, a hardened form of tree sap)
permineralization=petrification (in which rock-like minerals seep in slowly and replace the original organic tissues with silica, calcite or pyrite, forming a rock-like fossil - can preserve hard and soft parts - most bone and wood fossils are permineralized)
replacement (An organism's hard parts dissolve and are replaced by other minerals, like calcite, silica, pyrite, or iron)
carbonization=coalification (in which only the carbon remains in the specimen - other elements, like hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen are removed)
recrystalization (hard parts either revert to more stable minerals or small crystals turn into larger crystals)
authigenic preservation (molds and casts of organisms that have been destroyed or dissolved).
:icon_thumright: :wink:

Upvote 0

trixie charger said:
unaltered preservation (like insects or plant parts trapped in amber, a hardened form of tree sap)
permineralization=petrification (in which rock-like minerals seep in slowly and replace the original organic tissues with silica, calcite or pyrite, forming a rock-like fossil - can preserve hard and soft parts - most bone and wood fossils are permineralized)
replacement (An organism's hard parts dissolve and are replaced by other minerals, like calcite, silica, pyrite, or iron)
carbonization=coalification (in which only the carbon remains in the specimen - other elements, like hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen are removed)
recrystalization (hard parts either revert to more stable minerals or small crystals turn into larger crystals)
authigenic preservation (molds and casts of organisms that have been destroyed or dissolved).
:icon_thumright: :wink: thanks trixie,thats some great info.you undoubtedly do your home work !! :coffee2:

Upvote 0

dscott67 said:
May I ask did you get a load of gravel and found it in it.? Or did you find it in an active gravel pit at that depth?
To me it looks as the calcium is still present not replaced. and it should sound solid, it's interior construction is sponge like rather than hollow as a leg or arm bone will be. JMO i don't think it is that old maybe a couple hundred years? I could be wrong. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Broken knee said:
dscott67 said:
May I ask did you get a load of gravel and found it in it.? Or did you find it in an active gravel pit at that depth?
To me it looks as the calcium is still present not replaced. and it should sound solid, it's interior construction is sponge like rather than hollow as a leg or arm bone will be. JMO i don't think it is that old maybe a couple hundred years? I could be wrong. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
it came in a load from a gravel pit that i am completely familiar with,this paticular pit is almost at its bottom for production which is 84 ft,now that being said,the load we got was in the 40ft-60ft range depending on what size we were looking for which was the big unwashed rock, which means it came directly out of a drag line type excavator,which means it did'nt ride the conveyor belt, now,that does'nt mean that it could'nt have sifted down from a shallow depth.you could be possibly right on the analysis,i've never found one before so i really would'nt know. i do know that when you take two pieces of flint and knock them together that the sound is distinct,and when i knocked this around it did not sound like a piece of hollow or semi hollow bone,it sounds even like tappin two pieces of glass together,i would just about bet that i would mail it to someone for a sure fire analysis !!! thanks for askin !! ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back