Rock fragment found between Stonehenge and the Moon mound

Colleensche

Dec 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My partner and I were at the winter soltice sunrise at Stonehenge and found an unusal rock fragment just outside the outer ring. Is it a fragment of Presili bluestone? 20191222_123409.jpg

I don't think so. The bluestones are dolerite, a type of basalt. What you have there is a flint nodule, that looks like someone has knocked pieces off of, possibly to form tools. You may have a prehistoric artifact there, or not. One question. Are visitors allowed to collect artifacts from around Stonehenge? I would be surprised if so.

Upvote 0
As said above, it's a flint nodule. It looks to me as if not only has it been used as a core to strike off some useful flakes for point or bladelet production, but that it saw some use as a hammerstone before that. Although it's a relatively common and humble artefact type that doesn't have much archaeological value, you should not have taken it. You were on a protected World Heritage Site owned by the Crown, and the surrounding land is owned by the National Trust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the chances of that being an original artifact are beyond minuscule. It was probably lost, or left by one of the many cosplay (re-enactors), wannabe druids, etc that visit the site. That place has been dug and re-dug and combed for everything imaginable. I cant see it being "real".

Upvote 0
the chances of that being an original artifact are beyond minuscule. It was probably lost, or left by one of the many cosplay (re-enactors), wannabe druids, etc that visit the site. That place has been dug and re-dug and combed for everything imaginable. I cant see it being "real".

I would have to disagree. Those flakes do not look freshly struck. I see patination. The surrounding area still turns up plenty of Neolithic artefacts and things like cores easily escape attention among the many unmodified cobbles and nodules. A little further out (and in areas where it possible to legally collect) you can still commonly find flint bifaces and other artefact types. I live about 70 miles from Stonehenge and have a reasonable collection of items from the areas surrounding it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would have to disagree. Those flakes do not look freshly struck. I see patination. The surrounding area still turns up plenty of Neolithic artefacts and things like cores easily escape attention among the many unmodified cobbles and nodules. A little further out (and in areas where it possible to legally collect) you can still commonly find flint bifaces and other artefact types. I live about 70 miles from Stonehenge and have a reasonable collection of items from the areas surrounding it.

Please re-read the OP. "found just outside the outer ring"

Upvote 0
Please re-read the OP. "found just outside the outer ring"

Yes, I know what was said and stand by what I said. Even that close to the monument, artefacts that are little more than a modified cobble easily escape attention and also may not even be exposed until after heavy rain. The immediate surrounding area is FULL of flint (hundreds of thousands of pieces of it) and - despite the numerous archaeological surveys - it would be physically impossible to dig it all up or examine every piece of it. A piece of local flint which has had flakes struck from it in recent times would not have the patination I see.

Upvote 0
I believe I'd have had a hard time passing that up, as well.

My first thought was some type of chert, which flint is, so I
must be learning something in all the years in these forums..8-)

Here's a better pic:

20191222_123409-2.jpg

Upvote 0
I believe I'd have had a hard time passing that up, as well.

My first thought was some type of chert, which flint is, so I
must be learning something in all the years in these forums..8-)

Here's a better pic:

View attachment 1782591

Hah! Man, you're getting that photo enhancement down! You really pulled out the details on that. Good job.

Upvote 0
As said above, it's a flint nodule. It looks to me as if not only has it been used as a core to strike off some useful flakes for point or bladelet production, but that it saw some use as a hammerstone before that. Although it's a relatively common and humble artifact type that doesn't have much archaeological value, you should not have taken it. You were on a protected World Heritage Site owned by the Crown, and the surrounding land is owned by the National Trust.
Here here, well said Red-Coat! :occasion14:
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back