riverbank finds

spanish hill hunter

Dec 23, 2007
binghamton
Upvote 0
Well I just checked out your page and found a couple that are just river cobble. There are a couple that sparked my interest though. The one artifact would appear to be either a pre-form or complete elbow pipe. It looks to have a etching on the face of it. Could you post more pictures of that piece here so everyone can see them. If you could get both ends and the full image of the etching that would really help. The other one is the petraglyph of the bird image. You also look to have 2 game balls. If you post all those pictures on here you will get more opinions...................................GTP

Pictures are up!

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 578
  • rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 579
With the exception of the two round stones which may be Hammerstones, everything else looks like just a natural rock.

spanish hill hunter said:
The Grim Reaper said:
With the exception of the two round stones which may be Hammerstones, everything else looks like just a natural rock.

oh well..back in the river they go then..argh..

Do not be throwing those stones back in a river because someone gives you a different opinion. Let me clue you in on something, a couple of those items are in fact Native American artifacts. Just not all of them. The Stone with the bird effigy is a Petryglyph and the stone that is shaped like a pipe is a possible pipe. Too throw them back would be a tragedy and should not be done. If that is the case pm me your address and let me know what you want for the ones i have mentioned and i'll paypal it to you and you can throw them to me...................................GTP

After looking at your knew pictures that is definitely a Pipe.

They are all nice finds. Even odd rocks are worth keeping. With a lot of odd, unique rocks and a little mortar mix you can make a nice bench, or fire pit, foundation. Ect.

If that item is made of wood it is not a Indian Artifact as it would have been drilled on both sides and made of stone. Sorry to disappoint but from the pictures it looks like stone. In all my years of hunting i have never heard of a wood pipe being found...................GTP

Get-the-point said:
If that item is made of wood it is not a Indian Artifact as it would have been drilled on both sides and made of stone. Sorry to disappoint but from the pictures it looks like stone. In all my years of hunting i have never heard of a wood pipe being found...................GTP

Yea..As i said in our PM it`s a mystery to me as well..It is wood and burned on the one end that is drilled..The carving appears to me as a face with wavy lines down the side..Chances are i will never know exactly what it is...

If it's made of wood then it is not an ancient Indian Pipe because it would have rotted by now. It is probably an old Pot Pipe of the 60's or 70's.

Like I said before, the only items in those pictures that even remotely look like artifacts are the two round stones that may or may not be Hammerstones.

Fantastic pipe, still looks useable. Great find, good luck in your 2012 hunts,
-Ox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back