Ring????

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
I found what I believe might be a brass wedding band. The site was a farmhouse in the 1800's. It's nothing but pasture now. I haven't found any newer items at this site. It has produced lots of square nails and some household items such as lamp parts, door hardware and cast iron pieces. The newest coin found there is an 1876.

Any opinions?? It fits my wifes ring finger perfectly. It looks like it may have something written inside but it needs more cleaning before I can be positive.
Sorry for the pics. All I have is my phone camera.

09062007.JPG

I found some others on this website. Look towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.iglou.com/btreasure/personal.htm

If it's brass, it could be a ring or ferrul for a compression fitting.These would be in the 5/8"-7/8" size, which may be "ring-size" for alot of folks. Alot of homeowners who can't solder use these on copper piping for repairs.

Not saying it isn't a ring, just giving an alternative. Might have to ask a jewler, unless you do find some inscription.

Hope it turns-out to be jewlery!
Smitty

Upvote 0
if the outside is not beveled then it probabaly is an old ring.Compression fitting rings have beveled edges.
I have found several old rings of that style.

Upvote 0
It may be a fitting... based on it's thin look.

I found a brass (solid brass) wedding band and just love it! I know that mine was a late 1860s through mid 1890s band that belonged to a Buffalo Soldier outfit, possibly from one of the white officers, stationed here in Montana at a site I have hunted. It's as thick as any wedding band a guy might buy today.

Here are some references about CW era wedding bands:
http://www.iglou.com/btreasure/personal.htm
http://www.marleneharriscol.com/categories/AntiqueWeddingBands.html?offset=40

Here is another TreasureNet forum post that has some steel wedding bands and more talk about how old wedding bands could be:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....59913.0;sesc=29b96ed6452b6687c95595e3b668ff0e

Might not be the information you wanted, but as close as I can get right now.

Here is a terrible picture of it...

IMG_1617.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. It could be part of a compression fitting but if it is it's not like any I've seen before. It's just a plain band that is slightly humped in the middle just like a standard band. The site also doesn't lend itself to the fitting theory very well either. It's the middle of a pasture where a home once stood. The home shows on my 1879 plat map but is no longer there on my 1904 plat map. I would think this house predated any kind of copper plumbing.

Of course, some things show up in places that make you say "How in the heck did that get here?". :o

Upvote 0
Compression fittings are copper, solid copper. Inside diameter for a fitting that would be around ring size would be 1/2". I found a ring at an old farm site that I thought was a compression fitting. When I cleaned it up I could see the brass, or gold coloring over part of the ring. If it has a coating on it other than just being plain copper, it's a ring.

Upvote 0
Its a ring.

I have found a number of them. I call them 'Poor Man' rings. Sometimes they were guilded.

Upvote 0
As CRUSADOR has suggested they are "poor mans" rings. Popular during the CW era.Here are some that i have dug localy.Story i'm told is that during the war era folks couln't afford solid gold and therefore had rings made of iron or copper and then guilded or plated in gold.
In the first pic you can see that this ring is rather unique and is made of both copper and gold and stamped 18K.
The two in the 2nd pic are copper and were plated in gold but both are also stamped 18K.
There is another "theory" that some folks believe these stamped rings were made purely to rip people off, makin them think they were buyin solid gold rings.

Attachments

• Picture 009 (Small).jpg
    Picture 009 (Small).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Picture 009 (Small).jpg
    Picture 009 (Small).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 368
  • Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
Here's another example.

This one has no markings inside that are still left to see, if there were any.

Clearly, you can see the brass, or gold coating on this ring.

A compression fitting wouldn't have any other coloring.

Attachments

• pics 017.jpg
    pics 017.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 318
  • pics 018.jpg
    pics 018.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,108133.0.html

Funny thing was, I IDed the ring this morning & found one myself this evening - spooky
Funny is right. It's weird, Last week I was thinking how long it had been since I found a silver war nickel and bang, couple hours later one comes outta' the ground. My first Indian head was the same way, and my first large cent. Dream for it I guess, and it'll come. LOL.

Upvote 0
Kas said:
Compression fittings are copper, solid copper. Inside diameter for a fitting that would be around ring size would be 1/2". I found a ring at an old farm site that I thought was a compression fitting. When I cleaned it up I could see the brass, or gold coloring over part of the ring. If it has a coating on it other than just being plain copper, it's a ring.

Compression fittings aren't copper, they're brass, the body, nuts & rings. Water copper called 1/2" has a 5/8" OD, which would therefore be the ID of a compression ring, same as 3/4" water copper having a 7/8" OD. Refrigeration copper however is called by OD.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Kas said:
CRUSADER said:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,108133.0.html

Funny thing was, I IDed the ring this morning & found one myself this evening - spooky
Funny is right. It's weird, Last week I was thinking how long it had been since I found a silver war nickel and bang, couple hours later one comes outta' the ground. My first Indian head was the same way, and my first large cent. Dream for it I guess, and it'll come. LOL.

Hmmm I'm Thinking lotto numbers ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back