RING RING, I FOUND A DANDY

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After at least a week long ring dry spell, I came home depressed and irritated, and, in need of some hunt time. Bound and determined to find at least a Dollar in clad, I marched and swung the parallel 160 feet to the 160 feet the yielded me $1.23 last night. About half way through this march, there it was, a signal. Happily digging for more clad to add to the $.13 I already pocketed. Still caked in dirt, in the cover of darkness, I'm thinking, "Great, another Bolt, Nut or some other worthless hunk of metal. Until my finger sunk through the middle forming that OH SOO familiar RING shape. I placed it in my pouch and continued to hunt.

This is what I got. 11.02 grams of 14k GOLD. Sweet Gold. And boy does my wife love it when I bring home rings.
Finger.JPG
This makes 23 rings YTD. Two Gold, Seven Silver.

Last edited:
Upvote 13
This is what I got. 11.02 grams of 14k GOLD. Sweet Gold. And boy does my wife love it when I bring home rings.

Tell the truth, you found this with the Groundhog, didn'tcha? ;)

Great find!

WHADIFIND Awe, Sadly, I did not. I'm not even certain my ground hog works correctly. I called Garrett and they will check it out for me. I plan to send them to them. I was reading the manual today and I think I need to work with it some more before I write if off as "Not working correctly". Now that I'm gaining some experience, I might have to spend some quality time with my groundhog. Since you are Groundhog user, I welcome any tips one working with it.

My signal on my White's Classic SL was weak. When I got the signal, I lowered the discrimination, then decided to dig it. It wasn't more than 4" deep. Normally, I think I would have passed this signal up. Experience said dig everything. LOL.

Tell the truth, you found this with the Groundhog, didn'tcha? ;)

Great find!

That's a nice one too.

Nice big chunk of gold ! Congrats
Glen

Awesome ring find.:icon_thumleft:

I thought that was silver until I finished reading...even as silver that would be spectacular. Congratulations.

it must be a white gold or blend white white gold. Good thing it said 14k inside. I haven't seen any silver rings with 14k on it. But ya never know.
A big HONKING ring. Thanks on the congrats.

I thought that was silver until I finished reading...even as silver that would be spectacular. Congratulations.

Congrats on the find and for ending your dry spell. I mean, you could be me: 0 rings to date :)

Congrats! It's a beauty. I know the depressed and irritated feeling. I got a Tungsten the other day and hopefully tomorrow I'll get my 7th gold!!

WHADIFIND Awe, Sadly, I did not. I'm not even certain my ground hog works correctly.

Well, I am just about to move on to an AT-PRO. I believe my poor ole Groundhog deserves the rest. (I bought it back in the 70's!) It still works, the meter is shot but I never used it anyway. :) )

I can give one tip, don't know how it translates across different ground types. But, after getting the machine tuned for the ground, in the VLF mode, and setting the discrimination for something just short of a nickel on the TR side. Hunt in the VLF side and when you get a signal, (deeper signals work better), that sounds like it might be a coin. Pinpoint it the best you can with the detector. Then, keeping the loop just to the side of the target and maintaining the height from the ground. Switch over to the TR mode and go slowly across the target. If the sound increases in volume, it will most likely be a coin. If it stays the same or gets less, probably not.

Now, I know that is pretty detailed discrimination when it's probably best to just dig everything. Still, I've found this trick to save me time when there are a lot of signals but not too close together. Try it out and when you get it back from Garrett, if you still like it, let me know and I'll tell you how I modified the battery for longer life. :)

HH!

Well, I am just about to move on to an AT-PRO. I believe my poor ole Groundhog deserves the rest. (I bought it back in the 70's!) It still works, the meter is shot but I never used it anyway. :) )

I can give one tip, don't know how it translates across different ground types. But..........

Thanks for the tip. the battery tip I certainly may be needing. I have the opportunity to hunt tailings on private land, so I Hope to learn some tricks about finding gold.

About my Groundhog. My grandfather bought it shortly after he retired back in the early 80's. If he used it 5 times, I'd be surprised. I used it once or twice a few years later, found a 46 Washington, (Still have it). Since then, it wasn't used at all. So overall, the machine is in exceptional original condition for it's age. I hope to find some good stuff with it. I'll do it in my Grandfathers memory.

Thanks for the tip and I'll hit you up for the battery mod once I determine its going to be usable.

HH

Thanks for the tip and I'll hit you up for the battery mod once I determine its going to be usable.

HH

Anytime. One thing I did do waaaaay back when I first got this was to buy the 10 inch coil. Made quite a difference in depth.

Here's to your grandfather's memory.

:occasion14:

Nice heavy gold ring:icon_thumright:you did good,,HH

WOW! Thats a big boy! Great to find those big gold rings! Congrats! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back