ring questions

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Can anyone give me any info on this ring? It was found in a plowed field near a 1800's farmsite that was abandoned in the fifties and razed in the 1970's. it vdi's in the low 70's so I am wondering if it is a copper gold alloy?? It was bent and my knee-jerk unbend reaction broke it. :( Where it was bent the oxidation/corrosion crud flaked off revealing a much yellower color underneath. The rest is a deep coppery gold color. Could copper leach out after being in the ground for a long time? Could this happen to 14k? The stone (diamond?) appears to be single cut if that helps with the age guessing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• !!.jpg
    !!.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 268
  • !!!!!!!!.jpg
    !!!!!!!!.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 266
  • !!!!!!!.jpg
    !!!!!!!.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 258
  • !!!!!!.jpg
    !!!!!!.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 260
  • !!!!!.jpg
    !!!!!.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 268
  • !!!!.jpg
    !!!!.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 271
  • !!!.jpg
    !!!.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 271
I don't know what year it came from but that ring looks an awful lot like one my grandmother had that belonged to her grandmother

Okie Hillbillies....................................................................

Upvote 0
In my wasted youth, I had a girlfriend who passed off plated gold jewelry as solid. Judging from the condition of the ring, your farmer may have done some business with her.

Chip V.

Upvote 0
It is gold plated for sure. Gold will not crode like that no matter how old it is. As for the diamond,I doubt that anyone would set a real one in a fake ring. They sell stamps 10kt -14kt. They can put anything on a ring,real or not. :'( Mike.

Upvote 0
I can't figure out why it looks like real gold under the flaked off parts?? It is also very heavy?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys. I used a small piece of 400 grit wet/dry on the inside and it sure looks like gold underneath the surface layer, which is very thin. I just want to make sure this is consistent with gold plate. The pictures look way more grainy than it is. I thought I remembered reading where copper could leach from a gold alloy, but probably just wishful thinking. The site where I found this was also a battlefield/retreat area during the late 1700s during the indian wars, so i just wanted to be sure i didn't have something here. Probably junk like you guys say. thanks for all your help.

!!.jpg

!!!.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmmmm To ornate to be junk !! Probably late 1800s' > Please take this to a jeweler. They will usually look at this and tell you for free if it is real or not. Chemicals in a field can do strange things to gold, soak it in windex and dish lotion > It really is a fine ring :)

Upvote 0
I would test it with nitric acid. One drop will do. If it is gold,nothing will happen. If it is copper,it will turn green real fast. Mike.

Upvote 0
CarolinaDigs said:
Hmmmm To ornate to be junk !! Probably late 1800s' > Please take this to a jeweler. They will usually look at this and tell you for free if it is real or not. Chemicals in a field can do strange things to gold, soak it in windex and dish lotion > It really is a fine ring :)

I agree Get it tested by Someone

at todays prices of Gold that is Too Much
to let go if it is Gold

Upvote 0
I thought some of you would be interested to know that it turns out this ring is 12.5grams of 14k. The jeweler said the likely copper alloy leached. You can see where he polished the corner in the pic. Maybe this will prevent someone from ignoring a nice find. Thanks for the input Carolina. I probably wouldn't have bothered if not for you!!

Attachments

• !!indexCAAPZ8RE.jpg
    !!indexCAAPZ8RE.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 202
  • !indexCAU633I8.jpg
    !indexCAU633I8.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 211
Upvote 0
so at this moment

$215.31 worth of Gold.

CONGRATS !

Upvote 0