Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is already somewhere out there on t-net but I’ll throw it up here.
My grandpa owns the majority of shares in the incorporation that is out family farm. It’s nothing major just a way to fairly divide the land between family members and separate personal assets from those of the farm... anyway he’s always telling me to not tell many people about the things I find, he’s worried that it may lead to a situation where restrictions get put on the land or attracting trespassers who would come to know about it.
I personally don’t think there’s much anybody can do being privately owned land. Its not like I’m digging up graves. And while I was an archaeology major I was told that archaeologists would just be interested in recording known sites and it would basically get buried in a database. I don’t say much out of respect for my grandpas wishes, even on here I try to be vague. I’d like to get a better grasp on what really could happen
Maybe some knowledgeable people here could help me a bit. What are the real risks of sharing what I find on private property?

Upvote 0
The real risk is someone wanting to look for artifacts without permission. You don't need strangers trespassing on your land, you have no clue who they really are. Share your finds, stay vague. JMHO.

Newnan man is right. And some folks will go at night, leave cattle gates open, run their vehicles across fields, all of that and more. Keep it quiet.

Well your grandfather probably wants you to be quiet about your finds to other family members in the corporation about your artifact finds, and rightly so. You don't want to flaunt them to the other family members as they might find value in them. They could also give other people permission to hunt artifacts on the farm, as they own part of it. I have the same problem with deer hunting on a farm that I own a share of, with 6 other family members. Most likely the other members in your farm have no interest in your artifact recoveries, unless they are of major significance and value. I would just keep your finds quiet with the incorporation members, like your wise grandfather said. Hope this a answer to your question. Its a valid one for sure. As I have had the same thoughts about the artifacts, that I have recovered at my farm. But my family owners could could care less, as long as I have deer hunters, pay the property taxes.

Last edited:
Now I’m curious too see what you are hiding?

Grandpa knows.

And you don't want people coming day or night after artifacts.

As far as thumbing your nose at others who may object to what you do on private , how about a news crew waiting when some one leaves? With sign wielding protesters with them?
Now you are on the defensive , why?
An extreme example , but how much unwanted publicity is enough?

Last edited:
I'd honor my grandfather's wishes and keep quiet about the artifacts. That should keep the risk to a minimum.

Also, and I've said it before, make sure the location on your phone or digital camera is off if you take insitu pictures or pictures anywhere on the farm. Leaving it on is better than a map for unscrupulous types viewing your pictures.

Wise words! ''catherine1'' has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some families really get to quarreling once the matriarch passes on. Your grandfather favors you and wants to protect you from others in the family.

Well your grandfather probably wants you to be quiet about your finds to other family members in the corporation about your artifact finds, and rightly so. You don't want to flaunt them to the other family members as they might find value in them. They could also give other people permission to hunt artifacts on the farm, as they own part of it. I have the same problem with deer hunting on a farm that I own a share of, with 6 other family members. Most likely the other members in your farm have no interest in your artifact recoveries, unless they are of major significance and value. I would just keep your finds quiet with the incorporation members, like your wise grandfather said. Hope this a answer to your question. Its a valid one for sure. As I have had the same thoughts about the artifacts, that I have recovered at my farm. But my family owners could could care less, as long as I have deer hunters, pay the property taxes.

I appreciate the answers so far but I also was wondering on a state entity level, I’d like to share my finds with true archaeologists. who knows I may have something that could increase knowledge of archaeology in the area. The problem is I’ve heard horror stories where getting pros involved caused major headaches, from broken agreements to disappearing artifacts.
I think a lot could be gained if there was a way bring casual hunters and archaeologists together. There’s a massive collection of artifacts in private hands that we are all hiding from each other. Imagine if we didn’t have to be so on edge how much information would come about.

I'd keep all authority OUT of the picture when it comes to the location.

And as for sharing, this is the purpose of TNet--all authority anyone needs :evil5:

Lets see some pictures of what kind of artifacts you're finding. Follow the aforementioned advice and be vague but I want to see some pictures now ha ha

Obscurity is best Security! or No claimant no judge!

The other family members may or may not care about your diggings, but the thought of willingly involving the "pros" make my hair rise up.

The last thing your family needs is a "monument" or "place of Archeological significance" on the property. this will curtail your property rights and values. Just as wild speculation, the next amazon fulfillment centre will be built around the corner. Property prices skyrocket except of yours, since you are any not allowed to build something on the land.

If the rest of the family did not care until than, they will really hate since you screwed them out of fortune.

And yes your are right artefacts vanish when "pros" are around. (i corrected this sentence for legal reasons).

Greets

Namxat

I appreciate the answers so far but I also was wondering on a state entity level, I’d like to share my finds with true archaeologists. who knows I may have something that could increase knowledge of archaeology in the area. The problem is I’ve heard horror stories where getting pros involved caused major headaches, from broken agreements to disappearing artifacts.
I think a lot could be gained if there was a way bring casual hunters and archaeologists together. There’s a massive collection of artifacts in private hands that we are all hiding from each other. Imagine if we didn’t have to be so on edge how much information would come about.

Is there a dig going on in your area? The reason I asked is there is one in my area but across town from my property. I take my artifacts to the archeologists and ask questions about type, material and age, the main one expressed interest but said it would be too expensive to test, said he would like to walk the property but has never come out. Too busy I guess. People bring them pottery and points for their classes and to display in the museum but there are a lot of private collections in this area. They don't take possession of them here or try to keep your artifacts unless you gift them with them but it may be and probably is different in other places. I've heard that there was one trying to date sites around this area in the 1980's who would "confiscate" your artifacts but not the case now. As far as family, yeah they can be the worst so be aware. My property is small and the artifacts I find are in a creek, my neighbor is elderly and lets me hunt in her section but I haven't shared with anyone on my road what I find because I'm afraid they will look too. Sounds like you know the risks so now you have to decide if you want to deal with them and your decision, I say if you're comfortable sharing by all means go ahead, otherwise keep it to yourself and share the pics of your finds on here, I would love to see them.

Again good points, what I don’t know is if a pro would really have the authority to dictate how private property can be used. I’d like to know if it’s an unfounded fear or a real Issue.
Flying in the face of what we’ve been discussing haha

I’ve got a trade era site
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084197.427057.jpg
my box is a bit jumbled up because I drove it to another place recently.

I have a site that runs from hopewell to modern that is extremely productive compared to anywhere else this was after a few hours of looking yesterday.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084324.188768.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084343.024148.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084359.859876.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084389.692546.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084405.932136.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084421.001167.jpg
I’ve researched and wrote a paper on that site. I’d love to share it with pros but I’ve just been sitting on it. From what I’ve found bone doesn’t preserve around here, I think I’ve got a semi rare spot and a great source of info on diet and animal preference. Lots of turtle, buffalo, white tail, lots of large rodent teeth, beaver or muskrat, fish,
I’ve got a possibility early archaic site. Hoping a paleo will pop up but no luck yet
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562084844.941136.jpg
And I’ve got another woodland site
And I’m on the trail of a couple more spots I have yet to pinpoint
No bodies or anything but I think I have sites that could at least contribute to our understanding of the history of the area

Last edited:
I would advise against getting archaeologists involved if you wish to continue collecting from the site, unless there are burials involved of course, or if there is something so unique about it that it simply must be investigated by a professional (highly unlikely this day and time). In all reality, they usually aren't interested unless there's money involved. That interest seems to abruptly end when the money runs out. Even if there's nothing out of the ordinary about a site, once they do any studies, that site is registered with the state, at which time any amateur excavations or surface collections would be prohibited. I'm speaking as a Georgian, acknowledging that this of course, varies from state to state.

There are still a few good archs out there that work with collectors, who realize that 90% of all the sites known were discovered by collectors and otherwise would've never been known. Many modern ones however, have been indoctrinated into believing that collectors are bad people and that collecting artifacts of any sort, not just Indian artifacts, should be completely outlawed.

There are still a few good archs out there that work with collectors, who realize that 90% of all the sites known were discovered by collectors and otherwise would've never been known. Many modern ones however, have been indoctrinated into believing that collectors are bad people and that collecting artifacts of any sort, not just Indian artifacts, should be completely outlawed.

Ive got a foot in both camps here, one of my majors was archaeology, the other geology. I understand the information lost when a spot isn’t meticulously excavated. The best way to preserve future discoveries would be to outlaw collecting, although that’s not the route I would take.
On the other hand I love where I live and nobody is paying me to be an archie around here so I work construction and hunt every chance I get, I know I’m losing some info sometimes when my curiosity gets the best of me and I just want to get what’s in the ground out. But hey it’s my own land; partly, and it’s interesting but not mild breaking stuff.
I think if archaeologists could accept a little loss of information there is a tremendous amount to gain by getting along with collectors. That’s kind of why I’m open to sharing but like I’ve said above I’ll share up to the point it doesn’t cause problems, that line is just a bit hazy... looking like better safe than sorry may be the answer

Privet land or not if you have a substantial history their the archys or government can rope it off and not let YOU in....DO NOT ALLOW

JMO I would hunt it keep good records and let it go at that. Your biggest problem is that you don't own the land 100%, so you have to many options that you can't control. Most states don't have the funds to start a large dig unless they are aware of burials and then they have to have permission by the land owners, unless it is a road coming through that spot. Like it was said lose lips sink ships.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back