Revolutionary flat button??

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted a house built in late 1780s today.. Barn had dirt floor but was covered in crap and was difficult to move around. So I hunted yard. Found tons of clad.. Some trinkets. Two wheaties and a flat button... Anyone have any Info on the button? I can't make out much on the button. Possibly a capital P on the face? At about 10 o'clock. There are definitely intricate details on the back possible letters and numbers also. Unfortunately I left my loupe at my moms. Any suggestions on cleaning or trying to make details pop??? Or Time period of button??

image-1072237684.jpg

image-3396622862.jpg

image-2528800114.jpg

image-963312402.jpg

image-2291398372.jpg

image-1720219420.jpg

Upvote 2
Your button appears to be from the later 1700s to about the mid 1800s; so it could be a Revolutionary War era button, but not necessarily directly connected to the war itself

The designs on the back are part of the makers marks to show style or company of manufacture; this information can aid in determining a more narrowed down time of when it was produced

It is of brass construction and can be safely cleaned with lemon juice ( dip in and allow to soak for a few minutes) after cleaning you might get more info from your button

Keep at it, places where those buttons are found also have other pieces from the same time frame usually

Your button appears to be from the later 1700s to about the mid 1800s; so it could be a Revolutionary War era button, but not necessarily directly connected to the war itself The designs on the back are part of the makers marks to show style or company of manufacture; this information can aid in determining a more narrowed down time of when it was produced It is of brass construction and can be safely cleaned with lemon juice ( dip in and allow to soak for a few minutes) after cleaning you might get more info from your button Keep at it, places where those buttons are found also have other pieces from the same time frame usually
thanks for the feedback. Do I let it soak in lemon juice for a few mins or just
Dip it quickly? I know there is writing on the back with fancy details... I can make out and 'L.O.U.' On the back so far. I'll keep this thread posted. Do you see the capital P I am talking about?

You can soak it for a few minutes, the corrosion will be dissolved from the surface

I see a"P" shape there, it may/may not be part if script or s design, could just be a trick of the corrosion

You can soak it for a few minutes, the corrosion will be dissolved from the surface I see a"P" shape there, it may/may not be part if script or s design, could just be a trick of the corrosion
ok.. I'll post the results of cleaning tonight. Just wish I had my loupe with me to post better pics

The LOU you see is part if the word colour

As in standard rich colour, which is s typical term referring to the gilt that was applied to the button

The LOU you see is part if the word colour As in standard rich colour, which is s typical term referring to the gilt that was applied to the button
so after soaking the button for a few minutes in lemon juice... It did clear some the details out... The front looks toasted. I do think I can see the word 'colour' and a little 5 point star. Not sure anything else. Once I get my loupe back I'll inspect more clearly.

image-2288158076.jpg

image-530713285.jpg

image-2861347672.jpg

image-154304317.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back