✅ SOLVED Religious artifact-look familiar? Age/era? Thanks!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this artifact in a field that was farmed in colonial times up until the early 1900s. While I have found religious medallions before that were very recognizable, I haven't found anything quite like this before. I am pretty sure this is a religious image, though I can't tell of whom, i.e.,Jesus, Mary, Joseph, etc. I am not sure of the metal type, but it is obviously very delicate - perhaps pewter or bronze? Does not seem like a brooch or something that would hang from a chain, so I really don't know its purpose. Does this item look familiar to anyone? Any guesses on age? Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks for looking and responding.

Attachments

• 20200920_201048.jpg
    20200920_201048.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20200920_201147.jpg
    20200920_201147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Looks like the top of a latten apostle spoon:

440829_0.jpg

There are quite a few different varieties out there, but it seems like most are placed in the 17th century with just a few identified as early 18th century:

70642_0.jpg

I'd say you have an extremely cool find there!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's pretty tiny! I was thinking Madonna and Child, the peg on the bottom would hold it in it's base, like these. Seems small for that, though.

madonna.jpg madonna2.jpg madonna3.jpg

Upvote 0
It may be St. Christopher. It appears to be a man with a child on his shoulders.

From Google:

"According to legend, Saint Christopher devoted his life to carrying the weak and poor across a river. One night, when he was carrying a child, he felt his burden grow heavier with each step. When questioned, the child declared that he was Christ and that Christopher was thus bearing the weight of the world."

Upvote 0
Looks like the top of a latten apostle spoon:

View attachment 1865289

There are quite a few different varieties out there, but it seems like most are placed in the 17th century with just a few identified as early 18th century:

View attachment 1865290

I'd say you have an extremely cool find there!

Nice ID. I think you nailed it. Thank you for the information and pictures. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. This piece is in pretty rough shape, but I find it to be very interesting now. Not sure how to clean it up a bit more and preserve it. It seems very delicate. I am really hoping this is a 17th century item, but I am happy that it is at least Colonial. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
It may be St. Christopher. It appears to be a man with a child on his shoulders.

Thanks for the idea, but I don't think Saint Christopher was an apostle. Really difficult to see any details on the object. I am sort of thinking the individual is clutching a bag of money, which would make it Judas, I suppose. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's probably just pareidolia, but this is what I see. Minus the smiley faces.

20200921_165823_001.jpg

Upvote 0
It's probably just pareidolia, but this is what I see. Minus the smiley faces.

View attachment 1865329

Thank you. I do see what you are talking about. I was originally thinking of someone holding a baby at first. I have since seen a list describing who is usually depicted on these apostle spoons and what they are holding. I did not see any that were holding a child, but who knows. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back