Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to our first club hunt this past weekend. Unfortunately it was cold (40sF) & windy, and when it started raining, we bailed... 😔

I did make my first call based on sound & reading. "Sounds like a nickel," I told the Missus. We dug, and it was!
This makes my third Jefferson nickel (whoopty-doo ☝🏼). Nothing remarkable except that all three have had different color patinas (which I personally find fascinating).

__1980P_____1952 _____1984P
1713997313704.jpeg

I know the one on the left looks like rust, but it's a red patina. Middle also has a red patina, but color does not come through. Green (on right) also looks "grey", but definitely green in person.

Different soil conditions are the likely reason. I'll defer to any chemists/metallurgists on specifics. The green one on the right is in the best condition, but IDK if that's due to soil conditions or just age of the nickels.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep it up. 👍 better things will come.
Thanks! I'm just gettin' started (from a guy who often says, "Don't get me started!" 😲🤣)

I figure the best way to stay enthusiastic is to always keep/make it fun. If it isn't fun, why am I doing it? There are other things I can be doing. 😉🤔

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to our first club hunt this past weekend. Unfortunately it was cold (40sF) & windy, and when it started raining, we bailed... 😔

I did make my first call based on sound & reading. "Sounds like a nickel," I told the Missus. We dug, and it was!
This makes my third Jefferson nickel (whoopty-doo ☝🏼). Nothing remarkable except that all three have had different color patinas (which I personally find fascinating).

__1980P_____1952 _____1984P
View attachment 2145301

I know the one on the left looks like rust, but it's a red patina. Middle also has a red patina, but color does not come through. Green (on right) also looks "grey", but definitely green in person.

Different soil conditions are the likely reason. I'll defer to any chemists/metallurgists on specifics. The green one on the right is in the best condition, but IDK if that's due to soil conditions or just age of the nickels.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread