Recent water finds including a purple Civil War buckle

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of my recent river finds. It's been a while since I've taken to the water, but 'tis the season I suppose...

Here is a shot of one days finds. Notice how the belt buckle has a weird purple patina. It's a first for me!

P5010001.JPG

Close up of the belt buckle

P5010050.JPG

Here is a bunch of what I thought was pure copper rods. I felt rich! I hauled them out and there must have been at least 150 pounds! Turns out they are copper coated iron and thus pretty much worthless :tongue3:

P5030012.JPG

Next up is a shoe buckle, and a big one it at that!

P5080001.JPG

I also found this large cent on the surface. It's always a pleasant surprise when you don't have to dig.

P5030001.JPG

Here is a link to a short video I made of me digging the belt buckle if you are interested.

Thanks for checking out the post!

Upvote 0
These all finds. Congratulation!!

Great recoveries Beau. Another good start to your season. Looking forward to more of your finds.
-Evan

I also liked the video. But did you ever wonder how the belt buckel got in the water? Did you look for bones?

I also liked the video. But did you ever wonder how the belt buckel got in the water? Did you look for bones?

I've found dozens of belt buckles in the water. Some are just thrown in near camps and some have been lost in battles. I see bones all the time in the water, but have never seen any that I suspected were human. I did find a corpse once, but that wasn't war related...

Wow, great buckle! I've never seen hooks in such amazing condition.

What fun that must have been. That buckle is in awesome shape. I see a number of blank cartridges in your haul -- looks like .30-06 and .223. Is there a military reservation nearby if you don't mind my asking?

What fun that must have been. That buckle is in awesome shape. I see a number of blank cartridges in your haul -- looks like .30-06 and .223. Is there a military reservation nearby if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks Billino! There isn't any type of place nearby or maneuvers that I know of that would explain those blanks. But the river is where all kinds of weird stuff ends up. I guess that's half the fun, not knowing what's next! I did find a bunch of WWII stuff a few years ago not too far away. I still haven't figured that one out. Here's a video of it that I shot when I first found the spot, if you are interested in military relics. I also ended up with some bayonets, a stack of stainless steel mess trays dated 1944 and a bunch of other stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back