Recent Finds From The Old Farm

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
Hi Everyone, my son and I haven't had much time for metal detecting lately but have found a few interesting items on a couple of quick hunts over the last month or so on our old 18th century farm. Perhaps some of you can help me ID a couple of them:

IMG_2424.jpg

Some interesting silver popped up including this small ring, unfortunately snapped, with a vine and leopard design. For some reason I almost never find rings, so I am pleased with this.

IMG_2410.jpg

Here is, the 3rd shilling that I have found on the property, but this one is surprisingly recent being George VI, dating to 1937 -1945 after which they lost their silver content. Someone tried to make a ring out of it, tossing it when it started to crack.

IMG_2409.jpg

(Apologies for the dirty hands, I was working on some machinery today and it will take several more scrubbings for them to be close to clean again)

Here is the smallest Ox nob I have ever found, an interesting lead piece, and a very heavy bronze item. For the lead item, I would think a hem weight would have 2 holes. Perhaps a gaming piece? I am not sure, does anybody have any ideas? I am also not sure on the bronze item. Perhaps the end of a set of coal tongs? There is an odd raised section on the back side. Any ideas? It looks fire related to me. Likely late 18th century.
IMG_2411.jpg
IMG_2412.jpg

This crotal bell is interesting in that with it's lack of decoration, drilled shank and spun almost tombac like material it is quite an early one. I'd say mid 18th century, although people in the UK would say older.

IMG_2415.jpg
IMG_2416.jpg

A couple of nice coppers, including an 1871 Prince Edward Island One Cent with a wonderful bust of Victoria, I will leave the dirt in place to highlight. An 1860 Success to the Fisheries / Speed the Plow halfpenny token, also from PEI, and an 1854 BB French Cinq Centimes of Napoleon III. We have found quite a number of these over the years. Also shown in the group picture above, 1 demolished Georgian British halfpenny, 1 demolished 1812 Halliday halfpenny token, a mostly demolished 1823 Nova Scotia Thistle halfpenny token, and 2 mostly demolished Nova Scotia half pennies from 1864.

IMG_2408.jpg

Another little mystery item. I know I have found these before, but I can't remember what they are. Any thoughts? It is hollow & the drilled shank is thinner than the rest.

IMG_2413.jpg

A bit more silver: my most recent find, a 1907 Five Cents that I found yesterday and the silver cover to a stamp box, WWI era I would think.

IMG_2417.jpg

I know some YouTube detectorists find buttons 'pesky', but they are one of my favorites, and more often than not the buttons around here seem to be military.
Here is a nice War of 1812 era 91st Argylishire Regiment, early to mid Victorian 17th Regiment two Piece, and a 31sth Huntingdonshire regiment cuff button, again war of 1812 era.

IMG_2422.jpg

This cuff button was found just a couple of feet from another example as well as a coat button, which were found earlier, all of the 31st.

IMG_2425.jpg

Not a metal detecting discovery but something I found while cleaning up an old out building, a First World War solid brass case trench shotgun shell. I never knew these existed, cool find.

IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2419.jpg

And to finish, not from our property, but from an old homestead I know back the woods. We went back to dig a few hemlock saplings and took the detector along. There was a large rock and I said to my son, "people have sat on that rock, there is going to be a coin in front of it''. And sure enough there was. Very worn, it took me quite a while to figure it out, but it is a Swedish 1 Kroner. Luckily, it is a one year variety, so I even know the date, 1719. That was quite a surprise.

IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg

One the left are 2 crowns over a third and on the right you can just make out the crown at the top. It would have looked like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-22 223908.jpg

Happy Hunting everyone...

IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2412.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg
IMG_2415.jpg
IMG_2416.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2425.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2419.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-22 223908.jpg

Upvote 18
I really like these finds - great variety and old! Thank you for the interesting writeup and the clear pictures. I particularly like the handmade silver ring, crotal bell, military uniform buttons, coins and the brass shotgun shell. Those type of shells were made to be reloaded by the shooter. I am really glad that you were able to ID the 1719 coin. That's a treasure! You must be a neighbour to us in NB.

I really like these finds - great variety and old! Thank you for the interesting writeup and the clear pictures. I particularly like the handmade silver ring, crotal bell, military uniform buttons, coins and the brass shotgun shell. Those type of shells were made to be reloaded by the shooter. I am really glad that you were able to ID the 1719 coin. That's a treasure! You must be a neighbour to us in NB.
Thanks! I am a neighbour, on the Atlantic Coast of NS. I'll be passing thru part of NB on Wednesday on my way to PEI. What a drive that is, from Aulac to the Confederation Bridge. All those old farmsteads, it must be great detecting.

Great, great bunch of finds. I love finding buttons. They are wonderful pieces of history, and will tell you a lot about the site you're hunting. You found some beautiful examples. Congrats!
I couldn't agree more. Buttons are wonderful information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back