fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would someone cut the center out of a seated dime? Found both of these yesterday on a new site. For some reason I keep thinking maybe for a love token. What's y'all's thgts? Thx&HH
IMG_20230102_184552628.jpg
IMG_20230102_184620210.jpg
IMG_20230102_184953001.jpg

In my opinion, the most likely answer is that your center-of-a-dime was removed as part of the process of making a silver ring. Back in high school I saw such homemade silver rings, created by whacking the edge of a dime with a spoon's bowl until the edge became "rounded-over" like a wedding ring. Then you had to drill out the center of the dime to finish the ring.

Note that the cut-out center piece you found shows the imprint of another strike by the circular cutting-die.

Last edited:
Upvote 10
In my opinion, the most likely answer is that you center-of-a-dime was removed as part of the process of making a silver ring. Back in high school I saw such homemade rings, created by whacking the edge of a dime with a spoon's bowl until the edge became "rounded-over" like a wedding ring. Then you had to drill out the center of the dime to finish the ring.

Note that the cut-out center piece you found shows the imprint of another strike by the circular cutting-die.
That's what I thought also'

Upvote 3
In my opinion, the most likely answer is that your center-of-a-dime was removed as part of the process of making a silver ring. Back in high school I saw such homemade silver rings, created by whacking the edge of a dime with a spoon's bowl until the edge became "rounded-over" like a wedding ring. Then you had to drill out the center of the dime to finish the ring.

My hunting buddies are thinking the same thing but I find it odd that they readjusted the strike like you stated just to make a hole. To me it seems they wanted the hole perfect for visual reasons. I am a dreamer tho!!!! lol THX for the input.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back