Read books about your local history and investigate! My find this morning....

YooperAlan

Jul 17, 2014
Michigan's UP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, after much research, I finally found (Deeply buried in these north woods of the U.P.) the blacksmith/construction/machine shop from the Balkin - Judson Mine Co.

Closed in the mid 1920's

Here is the section of a book that describes what I've found, followed by a picture from this morning.

'' The pumping equipment installed in
the mine includes two motor-driven, 1,000-gallon centrifugal pumps direct connected to lSS-horsepower \Vesting
house motors. Only one of these pumps is used at a time, the other being kept as a spare. Inasmuch as these pumps are driven by electricity delivered to the mine over a transmission line of considerable length, two No. 10 Cameron steam pumps also have been installed in the mine and provided with proper connections. They are for use only in case of emergency. At the present time about l,000 gallons per minute are being raised.
The surface equipment includes an engine house, 44 x 75 feet; a boiler house, 54 feet square; a dry 34 x 85 feet; a warehouse and office building, 30 x 75 feet; and a combination machine, blacksmith and carpenter shop, 30 x 120 feet. The buildings have concrete foundations and are sheathed with galvanized sheeting. The engine house is equipped with a first motion hoisting engine built by the Lake Shore Engine Works, Marquette, Mich., and a 2,200 cubic foot Ingersoll-Rand, two stage, cross compound air compressor. Steam is supplied by two ISO-horsepower return tubular boilers built by Wm. Bros & Co., Minneapolis. The coal bins which are located behind the boiler house, are so arranged that the coal is discharged directly from the incoming hopper bottom cars to the bins, from which it flows through chutes into the fire room. ''

ForumRunner_20140817_140222.png

I measured the foundation to exactly 30' by 120'

This is a going to take a huge effort to begin excavating....my MD never went quiet

I also found another building site ( not mentioned above) but it was so close to a small road that it didn't look like it was worth investigating, as much trash had been accumulated within the foundation over decades of dumping.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back