Ray question

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
This might be a stupid question but.... I know you should "shuffle" your feet and move your coil when hunting in the water because of the rays that like to bury themselves in the sand and you might step on one. Now... if you were hunting where there is a lot of seaweed and muck would the same be true? Do they bury themselves under that stuff? I am a little leery of hunting in that stuff anyway but I think there may be some good stuff lost there too. I just want to be careful when hunting in that stuff. So I am asking the experts! :wink:

Upvote 0
OH yeah and to all you Dade County hunters.... remember I told you I used to live down there and I drove a bus? Well I came across the pictures... just remember this was back in the 70's and I do NOT look like this now. My nickname used to be "Wonder Woman". Ahhhhh those were the days! Unfortunately I didn't MD back then either... too bad!

cid_239657FB3EE74322B84E68084C9C6C9.jpg

cid_05C8FBC62104484BBB597F4547BE748.jpg

cid_E7135858974747A1B95351D71742A10.jpg

I spent several years working and fishing in the oceans and bays up here. Always shuffle your feet and wear some kind of footwear.

As for finding keepers in the muck, I would think that swimmers would stay away from those areas for the same reasons we all do, yuck.

Awesome pictures from long ago.

My little girls (6 and 8) always ask "Did Mumzie find anything today?" so please keep posting the good and the bad.

-Fathead

Shuffle!

Nice pics.

fathead said:
As for finding keepers in the muck, I would think that swimmers would stay away from those areas for the same reasons we all do, yuck.

I do wear dive boots and I don't like the muck, however, I've seen people many times get in innertubes and mattresses etc and float around dipping their hands over the side which makes me think that they may have lost a few rings. Maybe not I just was trying to use my head about that. ::)

mumszie it wouldnt hurt to look , btw :icon_thumleft: wtg for thinking outside of the box for a new hunting spot.

i learned this from ron lord stomp your feet every couple of feet to warn them also summer you dont have to worry about rays the water is warm they will get quickly.but when the water gets colder be warned thats when people get stung.ive been stung not a fun time "only" thing that helps is hot water i did not have any so i stuck my foot under the hot heater in my truck that kept the pain at bay

snooksion2 said:
i learned this from ron lord stomp your feet every couple of feet to warn them also summer you dont have to worry about rays the water is warm they will get quickly.but when the water gets colder be warned thats when people get stung.ive been stung not a fun time "only" thing that helps is hot water i did not have any so i stuck my foot under the hot heater in my truck that kept the pain at bay

Yeah we both got hit that year glad the heater worked in Petes truck it was a long ride home in 90 degree weather with the heater on full blast LOL

who is ray?

Nice to not me you Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back