Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long time, no post...
I went out for a short time today to a site I have hit pretty hard. I changed coils out and used my NEL DD Booster coil. (huge)
I didn't find much, but just before I left, I hit this signal about 12 inches down. It turns out to be a rare presidential election token or fob, it has a small loop on the top of it.
Its for the 1868 Election, which would have been US Grant and his VP Schuyler Colfax or Horatio Seymour and his VP Francis Blair.
I can't tell which because as you can see, this thing is toasted in the middle which is VERY thin, it's shiny because I had to add a stabilizer - the middle would have been a Ferrotype picture, a type of Tintype photograph! The whole thing is about an inch across.

1868 PresFOB reverse.jpg1868 PresFOB obverse.jpg

I found an example online which told me what this thing really was:

1868 FERROTYPE.jpg
S.P. Chase didn't make it past the primaries. I have found other election fobs from different years but this my first Tintype. Too bad it doesn't hold up underground..
You never know what you're gonna find!

Upvote 13
I knew a guy up here that found a Grant campaign token as well, but it was about 12 years ago now since I saw it and don't have a memory of it--the center of it was also shot. He considered it one of his best finds. It's a nice find--congrats!!

Wow, pretty Awesome find!! Too bad that Eisenhower wasn't a Morgan.

Thanks man, That was my thought EXACTLY! lol

I love it!

Thanks, me too.

I knew a guy up here that found a Grant campaign token as well, but it was about 12 years ago now since I saw it and don't have a memory of it--the center of it was also shot. He considered it one of his best finds. It's a nice find--congrats!!

Thanks Erik. I do wish it had the guys name on it, as so many do.. but still, since it has the date so clear, I'm happy. I don't think you would ever get a tintype out of the ground intact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back