Random strips of copper and the likes

filmiracle

Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a generalized question, not in regards to any particular item I need ID'd or anything. What's the deal with all of the random, usually crinkled up, strips of copper out there and colonial / 1800s farm sites? I'm sure you've dug them... I dig them all the time and just consider them trash. They're usually 1" wide, 4-5 inches long. Are they just pieces of farm equipment, something else... what?

They could be anything, but most of the wide copper strips were used to hold on slate roofing tiles I suspect, or they could be reeds from an accordion... Could you post a picture of what it is you are talking about?

Upvote 0
Bits of copper flashing from a roof?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos because I don't keep them. If you hunt old farms, I'm sure you found them. There are always scraps of copper buried out there. I just assumed it was somehow related to old farm equipment.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos because I don't keep them. If you hunt old farms, I'm sure you found them. There are always scraps of copper buried out there. I just assumed it was somehow related to old farm equipment.

Copper would almost never be used in farm equipment. It's far too ductile and expensive. 99% of farm tools and implements are made of steel or iron and wood.

Upvote 0
Flashing on a house or barn? Maybe something to do with lightning rods or grounding them out. I found a copper ball once, it clearly was some kind of flashing. I think it was part of a decretive copper end cap on the very peak of a roof. Or copper was used for gas/oil lamps? I find it here and there also.

Upvote 0
No, lightning rods used THICK metal bars or wires to transmit the energy down to the ground.
Yeah thats what Im saying. Sorry I should of explained better. On lightning rods there would be a line running to the ground. What I have seen in the past is the spiraled copper line that would run down the side of a house or barn deteriorate and brake at the seams over time for what ever reason. Then there bits and pieces of thin copper everywhere. Its the copper housing around the line, some times I have dug long sections of the spiraled line. Thats what I was getting at when I said lightning rod use. At least thats what was used around here.

Upvote 0
Are the copper strips from a glass jar battery?

Rural electrification didn't widely occur until the 1930's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back