Railroad Lock (new to site)

O

oaktree

Hey there I am new to the site but I have been an avid metal detectorist for 9 years in middle tennessee im a member of the Midd Tennessee Metal detector club I am at the meeting every month. I dont get online much but, I will try and check back as much as I can. Well here are a few of my finds of late I hope someone knows more info about them.

locks.jpg

Welcome oaktree. Nice to have you aboard. Do your locks have any markings or names or patent dates on them? They're nice!

Upvote 0
The only markings I have found are the ones on the key cover on the left lock, it looks like a (W8 co.) or a (WS c.). or something to that effect.
Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
Could the lock on the left be for the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Company (WSCo.)? Do you live in Wisconsin or Illinois? That's were that railroad operates. The other lock looks like Mickey Mouse in a way. LOL

Upvote 0
Oak T,

welcome to the board; hope we will be
seeing a lot more of your finds.

Neat lock.

have a good un.............................
SHERMANVILLE

Upvote 0
Welcome, Oaktree!

These aren't railroad locks but wrought iron lever locks— collectors call them "smokehouse locks" or "smokies"— and probably around 100-150 years old. Both are listed in Franklin M. Arnall's book, The Padlock Collector, Sixth Edition.

The one on the left has "W & Co." on the drop (keyhole cover), which identifies the maker as Wilcox & Company (a.k.a. William Wilcox & Company) of Middletown, CT, c. 1845-75; later, from 1875 to 1910, the firm was known as the William Wilcox Manufacturing Company.

As far as I can determine, the maker of the lock with the ornate brass bushing (right) remains unknown.

Arnall values the Wilcox lock at $5, and the other lock at $25.

Upvote 0
It looks like the key is broken off in the Mickey Mouse looking lock.
Nice locks.

HH

Upvote 0
Thank you all very much for your replys. I dont know if you could notice but I used reverse electrolysis to clean the locks off. All you need is a battery charger and a piece of stainless steel and a bucket of water and some arm and hammer laundry detergent. I wish I had a pic of what they looked like before I used my cleaning method on them they were not recognizable. Thanks again for the replys

Upvote 0
Welcome! Railroad switch locks often have the name of the Railway on them somewhere. Like this one I found. Monty

Attachments

• santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 449
  • santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Welcome, Oaktree!

These aren't railroad locks but wrought iron lever locks— collectors call them "smokehouse locks" or "smokies"— and probably around 100-150 years old. Both are listed in Franklin M. Arnall's book, The Padlock Collector, Sixth Edition.

The one on the left has "W & Co." on the drop (keyhole cover), which identifies the maker as Wilcox & Company (a.k.a. William Wilcox & Company) of Middletown, CT, c. 1845-75; later, from 1875 to 1910, the firm was known as the William Wilcox Manufacturing Company.

As far as I can determine, the maker of the lock with the ornate brass bushing (right) remains unknown.

Arnall values the Wilcox lock at $5, and the other lock at $25.

Great ID as always PBK...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back