Question On The Delta 4000

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for you guys that I hope you can help me with.

Can wet ground affect the sensitivity of the 4000?

I ask because I took my Delta 4000 out today for only the 2nd time since I bought it, but it was chattering like crazy and I ended up having to turn the sensitivity down to 4 before it finally calmed down. We just had a major rain storm (2.75") and the ground was super wet and I'm wondering if this was the cause.

Last edited:
I just bought one of these too. I'm new, but I've read that the closer to civilization (electronics, telephone wires, etc...), the lower your sensitivity needs to be. I tuned mine down to 5 or 6 in my back yard and found some pretty decent finds. No coins, but some hardware and pull tabs. In was satisfied for the first time use!

Last edited:
I searched a beach a week ago with my Teknetics Delta 4000 right up to, and a little bit into, the water and didn't notice anything unusual. As MrMexico25 suggested, your chattering was more likely due to Electrical Interference. Heck, I've even read that cell phone will make the Delta chatter. Other possibilities: high amounts of buried trash, minerals in the area you were searching.

All that said, I had my detector out a second time where I had searched before and it was blipping and bleeping like crazy. Confused I turned it off, back on, with no change. I took it out a third time to the same area and everything was fine. Seriously, I don't know what was going on during my second search... sun spots, gamma rays, aliens (LOL), I dunno.

I honestly think this might be a symptom of, "you get what you pay for". It's a decent machine, but lets be honest, it's not even mid grade IMO. I've had the best luck with the sensitivity all the way down at 4.

It could be mineral rich soil....I too have the delta 4000 ...got it this past xmas ..although its my first detector all the research and readning and using it I cannot be happier.....in pinpoint mode it outs you right on top of the target and I have read plenty of other guys say how their detectors they spent over 600.00 on do not pinpoint anywhere near as accurate and dead on....I went out today after my area got hammered with rain and I mean soaked and it rained alot yesterday too.....did not affect my detector at all.....found alot of clad so far a colonial button two days ago and a very old possible piece of a pocket watch and an 1876 Indian head penny!Happy Hunting...in my opinion you have a great detector whether just starting out or a pro.

I forgot to mention I keep my sensitivity at 8 and with the saturated ground today it still worked the same as usual without any adjustment.

Delta 4000 finds :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130630_225808.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_225808.png
    102 KB · Views: 135
  • ForumRunner_20130630_225838.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_225838.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20130630_225855.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_225855.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 145
  • ForumRunner_20130630_225923.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_225923.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the replies guys! My Delta has been working flawlessly, with the couple of exceptions when I had to lower the sensitivity. I'm starting to think it was interference like several of you already mentioned. The delta has been finding lots of coins at good depths so I'm happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back