369.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
From what I can see, I would suspect the base has been ground. A photo showing the base edge looking right at the camera would help. I would guess that point was in the "kirk" family. HH

HH
Here is a side view. Best I could get. The base is the thinner part. Does this help?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 53
That may not be ground and looks a lot like many I find at mound sites. More than likely a Hopewell type.

If in Georgia it would be Kirk Corner Notched point Between 10,000 and 9,000 years B.P.

One of those things that's difficult to ascertain from a photograph. You just have to rub your finger across the edge of the base feeling for dullness differing from the blade edges. Sometimes, you can see it by holding it to the light so that it reflects off the dulled area, depending on how heavily it was ground. Of course, that was when the old eyes were much younger.

Interesting how the region where it was found could cause a several thousand year difference. I was thinking Kirk family but if it is hopewell, then that is not possible-eh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back