Question about rock tumbling

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I just got my first ever tumbler. It is a KomeStone brand.
I ran cycle #1 for 4-1/2 days. Very pleased with results.
My booklet says, at the end of cycle #2, a dry stone should have a smooth frosted surface.
Mine had a smooth frosted look at the end of the first cycle. I’m going to run the 2nd cycle, but am afraid 6-8 days may be too long. Any input appreciated.👍🏼

Depending on what you are polishing, and what youvwant them for. I would not be concerned myself it will just polish them more.

Upvote 1
Depending on what you are polishing, and what youvwant them for. I would not be concerned myself it will just polish them more.
Makes sense. Thanks. It’s the inaugural batch: the stones that came with the tumbler. My next batch will be orange/tan jasper, from creek hikes.

Upvote 1
Makes sense. Thanks. It’s the inaugural batch: the stones that came with the tumbler. My next batch will be orange/tan jasper, from creek hikes.
Did you get grit with the tumbler or buy separately? I have a tumbler I’ve had for 40 yrs. It’s a Thumbler model B. I used it for tumbling brass ammo cases. I’ve never tumbled rocks but want to try. Are you using 3 grit system? A friend is a geologist in WA state and tumbles the flakes he finds on Indian campsites. The flakes around here are not near as colorful. He sent me a big batch.
IMG_5740.jpeg

Upvote 2
Did you get grit with the tumbler or buy separately? I have a tumbler I’ve had for 40 yrs. It’s a Thumbler model B. I used it for tumbling brass ammo cases. I’ve never tumbled rocks but want to try. Are you using 3 grit system? A friend is a geologist in WA state and tumbles the flakes he finds on Indian campsites. The flakes around here are not near as colorful. He sent me a big batch.View attachment 2156467
This came with 4 different grits:
1: coarse grind
2: medium grind
3: pre-polish
4: polish

It also came with ceramic tumbling media.
I’m new to the hobby, so have nothing to compare to yet. However, this initial batch seems to be coming along nicely. Will post final outcome photos in 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back