Question about "civil war " toe plates???

Southern Brass

Sep 6, 2013
Central , North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro , White's MXT , Bullseye II Pinpointer, MineLab Musketeer XS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
many have a stamped patent date of 1858...so yea,pre date the C.W..........I have dug close to 100 of them and never have been anywhere near a CW site :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Kuger is correct on both counts:
1- That form of shoe-toe-protector was invented before the civil war, and was patented on November 29, 1859 (see date-marking in the photo below), and continued to be used for several decades after the civil war era.
2- Used primarily on civilian shoes.

Attachments

• shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Upvote 0
:thumbsup:..thanks for the correction CBG,I thought '58...Pre-CW,none the less

Upvote 0
Kuger, the reason for the confusion might be that the curly shape of the number 9 in the date-marking could cause it to be mistaken for an 8 -- which could easily happen if the brass was somewhat corroded.

But if somebody has one that is definitely marked 1858, I'd very much like to see it, so I can add the knowledge to my relic-info database.

Upvote 0
Kuger, the reason for the confusion might be that the curly shape of the number 9 in the date-marking could cause it to be mistaken for an 8 -- which could easily happen if the brass was somewhat corroded.

But if somebody has one that is definitely marked 1858, I'd very much like to see it, so I can add the knowledge to my relic-info database.
ugghhh,your gonna make me go look!!!:laughing7:

well,out of about 15 out of around 50 I have handy are marked,and I will darned if I can find one that is a definate "8",a couple sure do look like it,but could be"9".I have a couple that everything is crisp clear but that last number!!!I will look deeper..pretty much answered my own question......the clear Patent is Nov 29 so I doubt there would be a Pat on the same date in subsequent years.....1859 it is

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dug this outta of a hut a few months ago..

Attachments

• 100_0266.JPG
    100_0266.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_0267.JPG
    100_0267.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_0268.JPG
    100_0268.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
and what are you showing us Hut?