question about bottle digging

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, i Have been metal detecting in woods near my house that were once old farm land. The woods also border 3 houses one built 1793, and the two other built early 1800s. I noticed when i get closer to the side of the woods where the houses are i see large piles of old stones and what looks like chunks of cement with moss growing on them. I Also notice some old rusted metal and broken glass in the piles as well. It seems to me that the piles also go down deep into the ground, Almost like trash was dumped into a pit. Is this common with a old trash dump sight? I have no experience with this at all. Either way i know only one way to find out and thats dig. Is there anything else i should be keeping a eye out for? Maybe a sunken area in ground ? Thanks for any help!

Hello Mark. Sounds you are in a location that covers a fantastic period for artifacts. Looking for depressions in the ground is certainly a start. The bottle dumps could be just about anywhere on the property but usually at the back of the house or to the downwind side. Ravines and low areas on the property are also ideal places to investigate.. I would probably start with the debris piles you mentioned. Get out there and start hunting and we will be looking forward to seeing some of your finds. Pictures of the area would be great as well. Now, go HUNT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back