(Purchase made, thanks!) Needing help with choosing a new detector. Want something comparable or better to my old White's XLT.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Update: I went with a Minelab X-terra pro. https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/i-m-happy-but-my-wallet-is-grumbling-d.688861/ Thanks for all the help!

So I had a White's XLT for the last 25 years, and today it started showing 8 volts with a brand new set of batteries. Seems something in the hardware has fried. Since I can't send it back to White's to fix, and it's time to upgrade i'm wondering what is the best option out there for around $1000. (If I can et away with spending less that would of course be cool. I'm guessing things have gotten way better and cheaper in 25 years.)
  • I mainly do coin and jewelry searching on freshwater beaches, sand volleyball courts, parks, etc.
  • Perhaps some older coins, but not deep-relic-minded.
  • I might go prospecting, but it's unlikely.
  • I'm very unlikely to be near saltwater or mineralized sand.
Gotta haves:
  • Discrimination
  • Lithium Ion Batteries
Wanna haves:
  • Waterproof for shallow diving
  • Large and small search coils (Using a bigfoot coil now and i'm going to miss it)
  • Replaceable batteries
Total pie in the sky:
  • External battery option
  • Discriminates gold from aluminum (A guy can dream, right? lol)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, Good luck with that gold thing ...
Todays top of the line machines,
1. XP DEUS II (my Favorite)
2. Minelab 800, 900, or Manticore
3. Nokta is new but is supposed to be very similar to Minelab.. but significantly cheaper..

I have the Deus 1&2 and I love them. Lately though I’ve really been enjoying the Minelab Xterra Pro. It just may fit the bill. Best of luck!

I just went from an MXT to a Legend.
Literally, 2 days ago I got a Legend.

100% there is learning cure.
The tones are totally different than the MXT.
The Legend has more of a bell tone chirp. And it’s taken me some practice to “get used to it”.

Not to mention, I had to watch a LOT of video to get it setup to where it ”makes sense“. Factory preset is 2 tones. That will drive you NUTS, switching from the MXT.

I almost bought the Equinox 900 but wasn’t sure these “New” machines would work out good for me. Since the Legend is cheaper, I went with it.

I did run a Minelab Vanquish before I bought the legend, If had been water proof I would have bought it.

Anyways, to make a long post short.

As was said, the list is….
1. Deus 2
2. Equinox 900
3. The Legend

If you had the extra money, the Minelab Manticore is supposed to be “The Machine” right now. But it’s about $1,500

I have the Deus 1&2 and I love them. Lately though I’ve really been enjoying the Minelab Xterra Pro. It just may fit the bill. Best of luck!
I also have both, and sold my Minelab 800 because I pretty much use the DEUS II for old sites with Iron, and the DEUS I for playgrounds with the possibility of gold. no other machines.

I have an Xterra Pro, it's a great detector for the price point. I think I paid $299. It does have some VDI falsing issues. I've read that if you use NOX coils that issue goes away. Also have The Legend which is another great detector for the cost. I think I paid $599 for the Pro pack which came with wireless headphones and the small LG15 coil and larger LG28. The LG15 is great in trashy areas.

I just upgraded to the Manticore, as my wife would remind me, $1695 with tax. I've only had it about two weeks and I haven't made changes to any of the settings yet. Just pretty much out of the box, it works like a champ. I imagine once I learn the machine it will become even better as I make tweaks to all the settings.

I think you'd be good to go with any of the machines mentioned so far by everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back