Prospectors Cabin Finds

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Prospector's Cabin Finds

Make sure you check out my 8oz nugget in the other post!!!! ;D ;D ;D

These are the finds from the last two hunts at the Prospector's Cabin.

Last weekend I found the half shoe, the axe handle wedge, and the trunk handle.

Today, I found the three keys, the cowbell, and the above mentioned NUGGET!!!
I also discovered three more of his mines and a five foot high dam across the wash. Still trying to figure that one out... lots of work, and there is NO WAY that that would have held water, it was made with HUGE rock. Now days, it can't. It is completely filled to the top of the dam with silt! I also found a couple of walls that had no appearant use, only a foot high and about three foot by five foot, "L" shaped. Busy little guy he was....

Anyone ever seen a key like the one with the three holes?

Attachments

• 1st Trip.JPG
    1st Trip.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 730
  • Keys.JPG
    Keys.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 733
  • Cowbell.JPG
    Cowbell.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 724
  • Dam.JPG
    Dam.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 729
Upvote 0
Re: Prospector's Cabin Finds

There is lots of history of silver in the area. Tombstone was founded on a silver strike. It is about twenty miles away. Floater, it is a wash, and the dam is across it and filled with silt. I haven't located a well or any pump equipment. He was a vertical miner as opposed to a horizontal miner and all the mines are filled with water. One has a bout twelve feet of water, another has twenty, ands I haven't checked the last one yet. Maybe he was getting his water from those. I doubt there is a well there because I doubt if there is a water table, it's almost the top of the mountain and mostly rock. I'll attach a pic of the dam and another looking the other way, down the wash. I am sure that it flows a lot of water when it rains. the dam is about thirt feet wide and about five feet high in the middle. The mine with the blue and green rocks is dirrectly to the right of the dam and about thirty feet up the hill. I say that it would be impossible for it to hold water, but if he lined the back of the dam with something then it would be possible to make it hold water. I will have to get back up there and do some more looking. Maybe I need to dig some silt out. What do you think?

Attachments

• Dam.JPG
    Dam.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 271
  • The View.JPG
    The View.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Dam.JPG
    Dam.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 276
  • The View.JPG
    The View.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 267

Real neat finds there. I gotta check out that nugget.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Cool finds, and nice looking site to hunt,

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back