prospecting trip to the black hills

twizzle

Greenie
Jan 20, 2014
iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well I am currently unemployed and cant find work in iowa where im at so I have decided to try my hand at prospecting this summer in the black hills of south Dakota. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas of where to go. and also would it be smart to get a GPAA membership before heading out there for the summer?

Upvote 0
Lived in Sturgis all my life (55) years and lifetime gpaa member and former gpaa state director for 10+ years. I moved to Bigfork, MT last fall and come spring hope to move to Alaska. As far as the blackhills...good gold in places..lots of claims in the good areas. Gpaa membership is a good idea and I just found out some folks in Deadwood are getting a gpaa chapter started. Contact gpaa and ask about the SD chapter...find out when they meet. I'm sure they'll answer any questions you might have. Good luck and welcome to tnet!!

thanks, I will look into that and go ahead and join the GPAA.

Hi twizzle,
Just your luck! I am a member of this forum and also the president of the above mentioned new GPAA chapter in Deadwood SD. We had our first meeting Jan 11 and our next one is feb 8. Pm me for my contact info. Welcome to the forum and GPAA when you join.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

awesome. I hope it doesn't matter that I wont be a resident of south dakota or deadwood. I do plan on spending the whole summer in that area. hoping to make some money to support myself so I plan on working very hard day in and day out.

Hi twizzle,
Just your luck! I am a member of this forum and also the president of the above mentioned new GPAA chapter in Deadwood SD. We had our first meeting Jan 11 and our next one is feb 8. Pm me for my contact info. Welcome to the forum and GPAA when you join.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Boy twizzle, you sure got lucky and wandered into the right forum! Good luck and keep us posted.

awesome. I hope it doesn't matter that I wont be a resident of south dakota or deadwood. I do plan on spending the whole summer in that area. hoping to make some money to support myself so I plan on working very hard day in and day out.

Not a problem Twizzle, all are welcomed. You shouldn't have a problem finding a job, especially in Rapid City. The town is growing very fast with new construction everywhere. Let me know if there is any questions you need answered.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Twizzle,

If you are trying to make a living prospecting in the Black Hills, just forget about it. Placer mining is mainly for the hobbiest in this state. Anything that is motorized, even if electric, needs a permit and a water rights use permit. They take at least a year if not more to get one, plus you need a claim as well (meaning you can not just get one to go anywhere).

BH Prospector, correct me if I am wrong but none of the GPAA claims are permitted for mechanical equipment correct? Also, is this Deadwood chapter part of the BHPC? I have not been to a meeting in a while but last I heard they were going to be part of the GPAA again. Also, is the DW chapter going to be activly looking for new claims in the BH or are you just going to be sticking with the 4?

well I know its not easy to make money but I plan to think outside the box, I have ametal detector too and not many good places to detect where im at. I don't expect to become rich doing it, but its a dream of mine to look for gold and other precious metals and the black hills is just my first try at it. thanks for ur input but im not one to let someone elses opinion effect me.

Hey freak, First question you are correct about the GPAA claims not being mechanized. Second the bhpc is not associated with the GPAA. They were until about midsummer last year. They lost their chapter affiliation. The Deadwood chapter is not part of the bhpc. It is a new chapter of which I am president. Next meeting Feb 8th. We will be looking into getting more claims as there has been a big interest in doing so however they will be open to chapter members only. Eventually some may be opened to all GPAA through the share a claim program.

Twizzle, definately get at least a part time job while you spend the summer here or you will starve. There are some who make a living mining here and I know some of them but it is a meager existance at best. It can be done but very very hard. I mine to add to my retirement, not to make a living. I will put in about 36 to 50 hrs a month in the summer. If you can make $30 a day mining here you are doing about average. Some do much better but are usually mechanized. My best day was about $85. Hope you enjoy your summer here and look forward to meeting you.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

thanks B H, I know it will be hard. I hope to learn a lot this summer so I can learn for the next trip I plan farther out west. will be a nice adventure for me. I look forward to meeting u too and I hope I can find a part time job. if theres any good places to detect in the hills I would love to try that out too.

Some folks detect and find some nuggets but as a rule, while gold is plentiful in the hills it is fine and in most cases not detectable. You never know though! This is a pic of the last large nugget found on one of my claims in 2009. I didn't find it and there is some controversy over it but enough said. There are large nuggets in the Black Hills just real rare. This was the largest since about 1926. It totaled 3.96 oz of gold 4.98 oz including the quartz matrix it was connected to.

Attachments

• Claim Jumpers Nugget004.jpg
    Claim Jumpers Nugget004.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!! that's just proof they r out there, a lil hard work and a ton of luck, ya never know lol

BH Prospector. My wife and I used to live in RC, and then Sturgis, then Ft Pierre.
Anyway, our older son wanted to come up there for a visit because he was born in Ft Pierre, but we moved 4 months after his birth.
We have some friends living in Belle Fouche right now.
Are gpaa members allowed to camp on the claim?
If they are, how long at a period?
What do they mean non motorized? Gas only, or no electric either.
How about an electric motor with a solar panel, but no battery.
Maybe my son could meet you twizzle. Up there. 2 are better. Especially splitting costs.
My wife and I where in Lead and Deadwood for the frontier, or cowboy days.
Our wedding band sets are BH Gold. Matching. 29 years.

yeah roadrunner, that would be awesome to meet him and do some digging. I also plan on doing some camping while im digging and ive heard but not positive that u r allowed up to 14 days in a 60 day period to camp.

Most of the claims have a place to camp, 3 of the 4. You can camp 14 consecutive days on a claim. Actually you don't have to be a GPAA member to camp but must be to mine or you would be claim jumping.

Thanks guys. My son will be working part time for 2 mos starting in 2 weeks first.
We will have to set him up with a job before he goes if possible.Already been to the online newspaper.
He would come up by plane more than likely. Then purchase or do what ever after he gets there.
Have to stay in touch twizzle.
I will send you my info.

Roadrunner - motorized means motorized wither it is is gas or electric or solar panel. it basically means no highbanker, no dredge, no drywasher, no reciruculator. the only thing that is allowed are the Gold Magic Pans. This comes straight from the SDDENR Mining and Minerals Program. I have called many times trying to get anything approved.

Thanks. What if you classify everything and take it home?

Or is it only some areas of the Black Hills that you can not dredge or high bank?
And I thought if you where on a claim you could do more things.

At BH. or Afreak.
How about a rope pull or a wooden handle on a hand operated drywasher. I have 2 designs that I know of that use no motors, ect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back