Prospecting, Panning & Sluicing in Wisconsin.

Delizioso

Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Just signed up to the site. Definitely need to be communicating with experienced people that have been doing this. So I began prospecting last year after I had a dream of finding gold. It made me very ambitious and I believe it happened for a reason! I had no knowledge in gold or prospecting. I had no pan or any other equipment. After hours of research I decided to follow the ancient glacier trail geology maps of Wisconsin. Learned a lot of till was left behind, I also live 5 minutes away from an ancient glaciated public forest with a glacier moraine, visible ancient waterfall bedrock, and a nice creek. I'll post pictures soon. My first time I took a dinner plate from my cupboard (LOL) and dug with my hands in a part of this creek. I eventually found a small micron piece of what I believed was gold. Now I use a hex pan and built a custom sluice in my garage. I thought I better get a little more serious. I'm noticing a lot of small quartz, granite, small iron pyrite, and some cool looking small rusted iron rocks.
Here's my problem, this glaciated gold has been crushed into micron flakes. It also comes with a lot of iron pyrite and its very hard to tell the difference because the small gold I have recovered is the same size. After digging yesterday, classifying, sluicing and panning, I was left with a mixture of sand a decent amount of black sand and iron pyrite swirling with the gold. I have gotten my first decent piece and noticed a few pieces did not move with my lighter stuff in the pan like the pyrite and pebbles after swirling it around. I used my finger nail on the somewhat larger piece and it did bend. Could this small micron gold still break apart because it is so small/flat? The piece I tested is about 1 centimeter.
I will post pictures soon of what my location looks like and the material. Also, anyone know of where a possible load could be deposited in an area like this? I think I'm on the smaller washed away particles from a larger deposit. I've been digging in an area where the creek bends and slows. I recovered this from half a bucket full of test material.

Upvote 0
I can suggest the Book 'Fist Fulls Of Gold' by Chris Ralph. Gold is not always associated with Quartz.

You might also consider a Gold Cube - I work 100+ mesh gold at sites with it, returning very small qualities of concentrates (with good material in it), as compared to buckets of material that I used to throw away after a final cleanup. It saves me hours of work.

You might also consider a Blue Bowl for clean up - replace the cheap plastic valve with a brass valve (from the hardware store) and make sure the center opening is completely level. Classify your material and work like sized concentrates at the same time.

Delizioso, jmoller's advice is right on! Gold is an interesting metal in that it will smear thinner and thinner and thinner and thinner almost infinetly till you can almost see through it but not quite and it still bends but does not break. Ok, here comes the "IF" part of the above sentence, depending on what it is alloyed with but even then it will still get really thin without breaking. Mica breaks up when crushed and splits into layers when pryed upon. As far as color goes, when you have a flake of gold next to a flake of mica the gold will just stand out and almost shout at you. Iron pyrite is nice and bright but smack it with a rock/hammer/anything and it shatters, gold does not shatter.

You might consider building a miller table as it is one of the best ways to separate out fine gold from lighter materials. Lots of miller table builds on you tube as well as posts here. People talk about using a piece of black board Slate Rock but a surface painted with black board paint also works. It is the fine but rough surface of the slate or paint that causes the fine gold to hang up, like tiny riffles.

Reading and learning before purchasing is wise...............63bkpkr

Welcome! Hope you have some gold there. It's always exciting to find that yellow wonder! If you find a piece of gold you will almost never have to wonder again about it being real or not. Even that microscopic gold will not want to move in the pan. I tried the homemade sluice before. But because your working work such fine gold i suggest buying a professional one and like everyone else says a concentrator it's the best way to go for the small stuff. Good luck hope you get some chunkers!

To be quite honest. There is very little gold in Wisconsin and where there is gold, it isn't worth the time and effort to waste. It doesn't hurt to look as long as you study the geology first or study the area for geologically correct features that normally carry gold ore.
Wisconsin has an odd bedrock base that can be as much as 900 feet deep and as shallow as 60. There are only a few locations where gold has been discovered and found. Nugget Lake in Pierce County, Adams County, and Marathon County. Aquilla Resources from Canada recently drilled for samples near Easton, 15 miles east of Wausau. They estimated there to be 140,000 ounces and want to open a pit mine this year. But, they need approval from both landowners and the state.
You can try searching google for more information on Wisconsin geology. I have found everything I need to know about this state and only plan on rockhounding or sluecing the areas I know of, if I am in the area at the time. Remember, Wisconsin has more valuable elements then gold. Agates alone can fetch big money too. Search Ebay for them, they are being bid on and sold for as much as $500 or more.

Good luck with your search and always check back here for more information when you need to. It's a treasure trove of information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back