Proof penny ?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was going through a coffee can of Pennies. Sorting newer from old. Spotted this 1974S. Decent condition. I’m guessing it started life as a Proof coin, but you can find anything on the internet! I get a little confused: I equate it to listening to 3 auctioneers at once. I’m not sure at some point who is right. I’ve seen where: 1) all 1974S cents were proofs, 2) not all 1974S cents were proofs, 3) some 1974S cents were aluminum, 4) all 1974S cents are error coins. I guess it doesn’t matter, I’ll keep it. Thanks for looking and please share your opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 44
From PCGS' website:

"The 1974-S Lincoln Cent is common in circulated grades all the way up to MS64 condition. Examples in MS65 are a little more difficult to come by but with proper searching, they can still be found in rolls or mint sets. In MS66 condition it is an underrated coin as less than 200 examples have graded MS66 or better. Most Memorial cents have over 300 examples that have been found in MS66 condition or higher but the 1974-S is one of the dates in the series that has a much smaller amount of coins MS66 condition. Examples in MS67 are even scarcer and probably no more than two dozen examples exist in this condition or higher."

They struck 1974-s for both circulation and for proof sets. Much less mintage # for the proofs compared to ones released for circulation. Only way to tell if it is proof is if it's still in its set, or can still see the cameo finish. The cameo finish should still be noticeable on a coin in yours condition, if it were a proof. :thumbsup:

They struck 1974-s for both circulation and for proof sets. Much less mintage # for the proofs compared to ones released for circulation. Only way to tell if it is proof is if it's still in its set, or can still see the cameo finish. The cameo finish should still be noticeable on a coin in yours condition, if it were a proof. :thumbsup:
Cameo finish? What would that look like?

"the internet.... I equate it to listening to 3 auctioneers at once. "
Definitely a well struck Lincoln but your description of the internet is equally proof quality. 🤣

I was going through a coffee can of Pennies. Sorting newer from old. Spotted this 1974S. Decent condition. I’m guessing it started life as a Proof coin, but you can find anything on the internet! I get a little confused: I equate it to listening to 3 auctioneers at once. I’m not sure at some point who is right. I’ve seen where: 1) all 1974S cents were proofs, 2) not all 1974S cents were proofs, 3) some 1974S cents were aluminum, 4) all 1974S cents are error coins. I guess it doesn’t matter, I’ll keep it. Thanks for looking and please share your opinion.
1. false
2. true
3. false
4. false
Yours is not an impaired proof. Even if it was, it would be worth no more than a business strike in that condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back