N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in North Central PA back in March in a large field where an early

ForumRunner_20140119_194155.png

ForumRunner_20140119_194223.png

1800's homesite once was. I didnt think it was anything more than a hunk of lead until i cleaned it and noticed the rifling. It also looks like it has remnants of concrete on it? The diameter averages about 21 mm or .82", Length is 1.2". I wouldn't think its a 10 or 12 gauge slug as a 10 gauge is around .775"? Looks like the nose broke off, the base is flat. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Yes I did post the micrometer diameter, it's below the second pic, loaded from my phone and it put the pics, sideways as well, in the middle of the description, thanks.
21mm / .82"

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info confederate, 8 gauge does look like a match - the only thing is that this piece of lead has rifling on it, did those old early shotgun have rifled barrels? As far as I can tell online, the 8 gauge was banned for hunting in 1938? I did not think they made rifled shotgun barrels that early.

Upvote 0
Large bore shotguns were made to hunt birds , loaded with shot, not slugs. And were not rifled.
That does not look like a bullet to me.

Upvote 0
No it looks like they did make 8 gauge slugs rifled or not I am unsure still researching but it does say they were almost flat nosed which is comparable to what you have I'm confident this is a slug of some sort

Upvote 0
Id agree with you taz but there is no doubt this slug was fired from a 9 groove rifled barrel - I was just thinking, this was found near Driftwood PA, and the valley that runs through this township is a valley that F-18's train in, I've been deer hunting here for the past 15 years and on more than 2 occasions 3 or 4 of these jets come down the valley in formation and wake me up from my nap - pretty cool to be sitting on the side of a mountain on a rock outcrop and seeing these jets fly by you, at eye level only 2 or 300 hundred yards away. I wouldn't think they'd run live fire training down this valley since it's scattered with camps and a route 555 on the bottom, but the slug it is close to 20 mm? I think they carry these cannons on their jets? Who knows, I will mark it solved. Thanks for researching confederate, let me know if you come up with anything else.

Upvote 0
Large bore shotguns were made to hunt birds , loaded with shot, not slugs. And were not rifled.
That does not look like a bullet to me.

However slugs for shotguns do show "rifling" as they are made to try to impart spin to the slug. Pretty much all modern shotgun slugs have grooves similar to rifling marks. Also don't forget that 8 bore guns were used for African big game hunting, and tiger hunting in India. There were even pistols known as "howdah guns" which were 8 bore and carried in the carriage on top of an elephant (howdahs), to repel a charging tiger which sometimes charged right up the elephant to attack the hunters on top.
Ted, the "concrete" is white lead oxide which forms on lead with time and exposure to the elements.

Upvote 0
Fed - I only have a small powder charge scale at home, not sure it will go to 3 oz, if not I will bring it in to work tomorrow and toss it on the postal scale here and let you know tomorrow morning.
Gunsil - thanks for the info.....the material on the slug is something other than patina - it actually looks like dried concrete, sand stone or melted rock - it would need to be chipped off the lead to remove it.
Thanks Again.......

Upvote 0
Remington makes an 8 guage industrial kiln cleaning gun with a flat tipped slug, witch would explain the material on it but they were not rifled.? I think thats the video confederate is talking about.
But being from PA an industrial gun would make sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Id agree with you taz but there is no doubt this slug was fired from a 9 groove rifled barrel - I was just thinking, this was found near Driftwood PA, and the valley that runs through this township is a valley that F-18's train in, I've been deer hunting here for the past 15 years and on more than 2 occasions 3 or 4 of these jets come down the valley in formation and wake me up from my nap - pretty cool to be sitting on the side of a mountain on a rock outcrop and seeing these jets fly by you, at eye level only 2 or 300 hundred yards away. I wouldn't think they'd run live fire training down this valley since it's scattered with camps and a route 555 on the bottom, but the slug it is close to 20 mm? I think they carry these cannons on their jets? Who knows, I will mark it solved. Thanks for researching confederate, let me know if you come up with anything else.

Military aircraft will ONLY live fire at designated ranges. Not just anywhere. Thank goodness!!!
Ranges will most definitely be VERY well posted, fenced and patrolled.
:)

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late response confederate, I left it at home yesterday, the slug weighs 2.1 oz and looking at it, I guess the front 1/3 of the slug could have broke off on impact.
Taz - thanks for that info, with the rock / concrete on the slug you would think it to have been fired from a industrial kiln cleaning gun....it makes sense, all but the rifiling.
Thanks All.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back