Programs for XLT ? whats the best

I looked on-line this summer by googling "XLT programs" there were a lot of interesting silver program suggestions. . . but, by doing nothing but silver, you'll be missing out on a lot of other VERY interesting things.

One thing I learned out in the field rather quickly is that VDI numbers don't necessarily correspond to what "the manual" says when you're hitting the deeper targets ;)

Take care & HH!
watercolor

thanks ill check it out.
i still would like to know how to make it like silver yet hit other coins as well
i use the coin jewelry mode but am unsure of the depth it will go yet as i just got it.
as for relics not to many here just a few. CW finds here on the oregon coast.

I just started MD'ing this summer with my XLT as well.

At first, I used nothing but the "coin & jewelry" mode and then, after a couple of hunts, I started using the "mixed mode" feature. Even though this increased my number of targets due to less discrimination (more digging), it gave me a greater sense of what metal types were in the ground plus, this also helped in providing additional clues of how the area I was hunting may have been used in the past.

After a few more hunts using mixed mode, I began to develop a sense of how the VDI numbers correlated to my targets (ferrous vs. non-ferrous) and I was able to make educated decisions on whether to dig or just move on (most of the time I dug because I was curious as hell). Even though silver may have a certain VDI (textbook) range, the size, depth and position of the silver target in the ground will always be a VDI number variable. . . in short. . . if it's a solid-sounding target, I would dig but, that's just me.

You may be surprised with the piece history you unearth ;)

Take care & HH!

Oh yeah! The XLT, like the explorer, needs to be run on the verge of being unstable to get good deep silver. If you cant handle some falsing than you shouldnt try this. First, switch to tone id and run the machine over a variety of coins to get used to the noises. Now, go find yourself, say a 5 inch deep coin (a quarter would work best) in the wild (not in your garden) and bump the preamp gain up by one, bump the ac sens up five, and drop the recovery speed by 5. Now slow your swing down a bit (I know, the XLT is a fast swing machine) and check the target and make sure your xlt isnt going crazy. If the XLT can handle this keep raising the preamp until it goes go off the deep end, then back it up a notch. Is been my experience that you can only raise the preamp gain by one or two positions on the XLT before it becomes unstable. Once youve found a preamp setting start bumping the ac sense up a bit at a time until the your not comfortable with it, then back it down again. I think the trick is to run as much preamp gain and ac sense as possible without throwing the XLT into a frenzy. The recovery speed and your sweep speed are a matter of preference. The deep coins, not just silver, wont hit on every swing from every direction. If you get a deep signal, on that is lower in volume and has a small, solid "patern" investigate it, even it if reads as a pull tab. If you can get the ID to hit in the mid 50's to mid 80's about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time dig it. I did a lot of experimenting with the XLT and found that it will find alot of the deep coins that the Explorer would, it just wont ID them right most of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back