Problem w/ my dredge

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
So I had it all set up and ready to go. And instead of suction, I got the opposite. Water was not only coming down the box but it was also coming out of the suction nozzle. Now I do have a pressure hose leak. Could that be the problem? Also on the dredge, my belt for the air compressor started smoking bad. And the belt wasn't even turning. The water pump was spinning away and burning the belt, what could the problem be?

Hang on mazzy - all the guys on west coast have 70-deg. weather this three-day weekend - can't imagine where they are? lol

Power jet or suction nozzle? Relief valve might be stuck on the compressor or outlet closed off.. Belt might need to be tightened..

First, we need more info about your dredge. The ONLY way to have water pressure coming out of the nozzle is due to a blockage ahead of the pressure input.

As for your burning belt, it's not tight enough which is causing it to slip and build friction heat.

Jason in Enid said:
First, we need more info about your dredge. The ONLY way to have water pressure coming out of the nozzle is due to a blockage ahead of the pressure input.

As for your burning belt, it's not tight enough which is causing it to slip and build friction heat.

Some type of plug I agree .
Sometimes I get a flt rock in there and at,first glance don't see it !
Take the jet off out of the water a inspect it could be in the smaller part of the jet also.

Jason. 4" Keene ultra mini. I checked. Absolutely nothing but water was in the jet. I still think it had to do with my hose coming from the pump to the jet having a small hole in it

A hole in the pressure hose won't cause that. If you say the jet is clear, then I am stumped. The pressure input is forcing water towards the sluice and it's just not possible to push pressure back to the nozzle without SOMETHING..... so I am stumped.

Could it be lack of prime in the section hose?
Yup, not even primed or a rock stuck inside the jet because it got dropped in the pressure hose when putting it together or an air leak in the pick up line or a bad plastic connector or maybe you should run the pump unhooked first and see if it's working right.

Id remove the hose on the jet log that connects to the pump and look inside the jet that way .i bed you'll find your problem!

Sammons I checked that. If the hose isn't fully clipped in, would it do that? I noticed air in the hose and I stopped and resume everything and made sure I wasn't plugged up. And when it was running you could see the vortex it was creating within the suction hose

It doesn't make since to me but I would say iv seen stranger things.

All the pump does is pump if the smaller nozzel going into the jet log had a rock or some kind of obstruction That might cause the jet flow backwards !
If your pump has a blown seal usally it will just have a bunch of water Come out by the belt and it will have weak presure causing it suck poorly .try what reed said and run the pump off the jet to be certin it's working proper
If it does it again take a vid with your phone and post it ..

Try changing the position of the jet inlet in relation to the flair... From the top to the side... That might be it..

Look inside your pump for a big surpise BUT first stick your finger into the pump inlet side,footvalve side. The plastic insert(hose bib) should be flush with the metal impeller to seal a high pressure pump or you'll get crazy stuff going on like you said)around and around she goes or cavitation) OR rock on the water inlet side to the jet log-not the big jet hole but water inlet. Otherwise I'd say junk/rocks inside the pump itself. Keene sells them lousy footvalves with HUGE 1/4"++ holes so you'll suck rocks up and chew up your pump and blast holes in your jet and header so simply put window screen wire around it to eliminate insane damages from engineered in obsolesence sic sic sic-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back