Prince George County

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I'm not sure if I picked the right forum, because the object I am asking about is definitely a police badge.........BUT, my question is about the age and source more than what it actually is.
First, a little info--this old badge has seen better days, but it is still readable thanks to a little magic marker enhancement on the letters (marker washes off with soap and water.) It was found at the site of a very old tavern in Warren, Va. Civil War items have been found there also, but I'm not sure this item is that old. Also, is it Virginia or Maryland? I lean toward Virginia because the Maryland county is spelled with an apostrophe "s", like Prince George's County.
If I had to guess, I would say the badge dates to the late 1800's or early 1900's and is from Prince George County, Virginia, but that is JUST a guess, and I respectfully defer to greater minds than mine! If you can help me identify either the age or source of this badge, It would be a tremendous help to me! No matter what the answer, how this object ended up where it did is a whole 'nother story which I would love to know but probably never will!
P.S.--I contacted the Prince George County Police Department, but they didn't have any answers.

THANKS!

Attachments

• P1010113.JPG
    P1010113.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010115.JPG
    P1010115.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 110
very nice finds. wish i could help date it

Upvote 0
jhamner, Your badge probably came from the factory silver plated over copper or brass, with a "saddle" type pin on the reverse. The pin was a safety pin with a metal "saddle" holding it to the back of the badge with silver solder. The style of lettering and the fact that it was probably "soft enamel" .i.e. paint only-no cloisonne enamel, makes me believe that it was probably in use 1900ish-1940's, more than likely issued to an officer during WW1 or WW2. American agencies hired many additional officers during the wars for site security and special details. Hope this helps, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
jhamner, Your badge probably came from the factory silver plated over copper or brass, with a "saddle" type pin on the reverse. The pin was a safety pin with a metal "saddle" holding it to the back of the badge with silver solder. The style of lettering and the fact that it was probably "soft enamel" .i.e. paint only-no cloisonne enamel, makes me believe that it was probably in use 1900ish-1940's, more than likely issued to an officer during WW1 or WW2. American agencies hired many additional officers during the wars for site security and special details. Hope this helps, Sub 8-)

This helps tremendously, Sub--thank you SO MUCH!!!

Upvote 0
prince george country police were established in 1931

Maxpower, If this is the case then it probably is a WW2 era badge. If PGCPD has a historical archive, there should be photos to confirm if this was issued by them and when. Another possibility is it was a "coal and iron police" badge for the county, issued to special deputies to deal with strikes and civil unrest within the mining population. (if there are any mines in PG county...) Still old, and still cool! Sub8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I retired from the Prince George's County Maryland department, your badge definitely isn't from that agency. I can't tell from the pictures if it has marks on the back for a pin attachment or a single stud attachment. If it had a pin attachment it would have been a badge, if it had a singe stud, it would have been a hat badge.

Upvote 0
I retired from the Prince George's County Maryland department, your badge definitely isn't from that agency. I can't tell from the pictures if it has marks on the back for a pin attachment or a single stud attachment. If it had a pin attachment it would have been a badge, if it had a singe stud, it would have been a hat badge.

Thank you Fullstock--thanks to you and all the other helpful posts, things are starting to come together!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back