xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one hour to hunt last night so I went down the street to a median strip I've been hitting. I feel like I need at least a few hours to really hunt but I'll take what I can get. I found a few Wheaties which told me there were still plenty of targets to dig. I got some kind of high tone probably upper 70's could be a penny (but as we know it could be anything) and dug into the earth. There in amongst some oyster shells there was a coin. I know a lot of times oyster shells mean a trash pit. In this case it was old fill or maybe just shells that were dropped there as it's close to the shore. I was hoping for something better than a wheatie and was rewarded with an IHP! Those are a day maker for me so I was quite happy with it. But then the voices started.... come on keep digging you know there's got to be some silver here... one more hole... don't give up... It's a slippery slope as time flies by. I dug a few more holes and found another wheatie and a junk ring. This IHP was looking pretty rough but a little Andre's pencil action and this thing was museum quality - my museum! Not bad for a 124 year old coin!

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_7070.JPG
    IMG_7070.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7071.JPG
    IMG_7071.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 22
Good job cleaning it I like that museum quality coin I have some my self. Sounds like a great spot to hunt. Good luck pulling some more goodies outta there.

Great find! I love finding IHP's all day long but it's especially nice when the coin comes out looking like yours!

Good job cleaning it I like that museum quality coin I have some my self. Sounds like a great spot to hunt. Good luck pulling some more goodies outta there.
I don't pull the coins I rip them! Haha!

Congratulations on a really nice find. I have those pencils too, but I guess I am not as good with them as you, as you got much nicer results than I have so far. That coin looks great! Happy Hunting.

Congratulations on a really nice find. I have those pencils too, but I guess I am not as good with them as you, as you got much nicer results than I have so far. That coin looks great! Happy Hunting.

Thank you! I haven't used these pencils a ton but this is what I have figured out: If the coin has a smooth surface / not pitted and corroded these pencils absolutely work. Especially with IHP's. It's important that the surface of the coin has integrity. If the coin is in bad condition from the ground and corrosion you may not make it better and you may even ruin the coin as you try to take the corrosion off because it will bring even more details off the coin. Like with a crusty copper you can take the lettering right off the coin. It takes some guess work. If the coin seems delicate skip the andre's if it it appears to be robust go for it but go slow. It may also be the pressure that you use. The pencils are made so that they won't scratch a coin but I suspect if you use a ton of pressure that you may damage the coin. Practice on some cruddy Wheaties that have a tough crust of dirt. That will help get a feel for it. Good luck.

Thank you! I haven't used these pencils a ton but this is what I have figured out: If the coin has a smooth surface / not pitted and corroded these pencils absolutely work. Especially with IHP's. It's important that the surface of the coin has integrity. If the coin is in bad condition from the ground and corrosion you may not make it better and you may even ruin the coin as you try to take the corrosion off because it will bring even more details off the coin. Like with a crusty copper you can take the lettering right off the coin. It takes some guess work. If the coin seems delicate skip the andre's if it it appears to be robust go for it but go slow. It may also be the pressure that you use. The pencils are made so that they won't scratch a coin but I suspect if you use a ton of pressure that you may damage the coin. Practice on some cruddy Wheaties that have a tough crust of dirt. That will help get a feel for it. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I am lucky enough to find something worth cleaning soon.

Nice job on the IH restoration! :occasion14:

Nice IHP save & nice cleaning, good advice on the pencils, I've had it go both ways, congrats on the hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back