Pottery

A

Atlantis0077

Greetings,

I see tons of photos of arrowheads and stone artifacts, but rarely see anything on pottery. Here are a couple of pottery bowls I have come across in my travels. Thought they might be of interest. The black one is a Caddo piece made by low oxygen firing. The polish is applied by using a stone and rubbing the clay when it is still "greenware" unfired. Design is engraved. The small tan bowl is also a Caddo piece found near Toledo Bend Reservoir. It is cracked and glued, but finding pristine pottery is difficult in the extreme. Hope these pics turn out as I had to compress them. Red pigment in pots in the bottom photo is red ochre...it was used as a dye. Extracted from natural rocks and minerals. I have seen it in red, black, yellow, pink, white, and pale blue.

Atlantis

Attachments

• pottery 004.jpg
    pottery 004.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 575
  • pottery 005.jpg
    pottery 005.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 584
  • pottery 001.jpg
    pottery 001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 0
Hoss and Matt,

Welcome to our forum. Its always great to get some new blood in the ranks. This place is all about information and fostering a love for archaeology, not to mention relic hunting. There are many knowledgable folks here, but we are all learning in one way or another. I look forward to your input and especially your relic photos.

Atlantis

d2 said:
My pot is 14 inches high and is about 46 inches around.
Hoss, what town do you live close too...d2
This pot was found in Columbia Co. near Magnolia Ark. It's 4 1/2" tall and approx. 5 " dia.
Here are some other pieces with good markings.
Notice the one that looks like greek writing on it. Neat huh?
Hoss

Attachments

• potwriting.jpg
    potwriting.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 318
  • pottery pieces.jpg
    pottery pieces.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 332
  • assort pot.jpg
    assort pot.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 343
Hoss, we aint real far apart. Nice pottery. I have a couple of shards if I can find I will post a picture of. One has a finger print of the person that made it and the other is a piece that has an "eye" looking at you that was incised into it. Whish I had all of that one...d2

Nice looking Caddo pottery shards you have there hoss. Do you happen to have a closer picture of the applique on the piece that looks like greek?

Matt R said:
Nice looking Caddo pottery shards you have there hoss. Do you happen to have a closer picture of the applique on the piece that looks like greek?
Matt, you made me look, Har! I still don't know what that means so here's some close-ups.
And a few more interesting pieces.

Attachments

• 2 pile.jpg
    2 pile.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 1 pile.jpg
    1 pile.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 302
  • greek 1.jpg
    greek 1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 305
  • greek.jpg
    greek.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 298
Interesting piece Hoss. I guess it isn't applique after all..looks stamped. Looks to be Pease or similar? Usually Pease is a bit south of you though. I'll see if I can't take some pics of some of my pottery sometime to show. Thanks for showing!

Good Morning,

Hoss I think you are digging in my site while I am away....LOL That pottery looks mighty familiar....guess we are both in an early Caddo site.

I am posting a few pieces of broken stuff I find. Have literally 5 gallon buckets of broken pottery....amazing how you can find so much and so few pieces actually match. I do love the artistry that goes into making pottery and the Caddo culture was the pinnacle of pottery making in my opinion.

The last photo is of one of the rarer pottery types I have found. This is called Carmel Engraved and it appears like railroad tracks over the body of the vessel. I have only found a few shards of this type and would literally kill for a whole pot or even a part of a pot in this design. I am not sure there is one in existence. Very pretty shiny black....very hard....this is grog, not shell tempered which can indicate its a little older.

Happy hunting

Atlantis

Attachments

• pottery2 007.jpg
    pottery2 007.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 267
  • pottery2 003.jpg
    pottery2 003.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 269
  • pottery2 004.jpg
    pottery2 004.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 273
  • pottery2 005.jpg
    pottery2 005.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 257
  • pottery2 006.jpg
    pottery2 006.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 267
  • pottery2 008.jpg
    pottery2 008.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 256
Awesome pottery. All I ever found was just bits & pieces.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back