Potential Meteorite, VERY STRANGE!

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, just joined and like the site already. I need some help identifying a rock I have. It is not magnetic, streak test was red at first, now shows grey when exposed, it is EXTREMELY HEAVY, appears to have a fusion crust, maybe 1mm thick, and when ground down appears to be almost pure metal inside. It is also very hard, I could not scratch this stone and broke it only with MUCH effort. It also has no resistance (ohms).

It was rumored by my family to have fallen from the sky in the desert in mexico.

I'm stumped!

Any help would be appreciated!

(here's some pix too)

Attachments

• DSCF0786.JPG
    DSCF0786.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0795.JPG
    DSCF0795.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 156
Could be an Iron nodule - Hematite - I guess it could be a nickel/iron meteorite - typically when the meteorites are sliced thru ,
they show a very distinct grain pattern - that results from the heat of entering earths atmosphere at a very high rate of speed.

Upvote 0
Nickel iron would stick to a magnet as both are ferrous. I'm no expert but most are this type. The other type are stone.

Cool though! Welcome to Tnet!

Upvote 0
Years ago when I was an astronaut, we dumped our poop tanks just about over where you were searching. Need I say more.....
Seriously though, being as heavy/dense as you say it is, make sure it is not radioactive. Maybe depleted uranium?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could it be lead slag from a smelting plant near by? When those mills bought scrap to melt its hard telling what was in the steel. That would explain the brown at those high temps it might have lost its magnetism.

Ok that's out of the way. Now I'd say a meteorite or the uranium. Would definitely get it tested soon to make sure it's not radioactive like the one guy said. But that is a great find never seen anything like it.

Just thought of this, could it be mercury? Have you tried water to see if a little price reacts to it? I know it sounds weird but ya never know could be. Potassium like in science class.

Upvote 0
Based on appearance, red streak, and brittleness, I am leaning toward hematite. Hematite is commonly mistaken for meteorites.

Upvote 0
Go to the drugstore and get a nickle test (about 6-8 bucks). If the swab turns pinkish red - it is probably a meteorite. If not - probably not.

Mrs.O

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back