Potential Civil War Eagle Button From Yesterday

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Hey, fellow enthusiasts, it is zoyboy, KirkPA's twin brother. How's life treating you other enthusiasts? I just hope you're smiling as much as I have for the past two days. :D :D

Well, as you already saw yesterday, vpone struck some coppas, but I only came home with some buttons and three musketballs. Just today, I was trying to break some hard doyt (dirt) off of the one button that I found. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, it wasn't doyt...it was rust...ancient rust that was stuck on the historic artifact. Well, to make another metal detecting story short, I believe that I see the outline of an Eagle on the button, which seems very possible after seeing vpone post his Civil War bullet yesterday. These fields have been known to yield Civil War artifacts, leading us to believe that there could be a potential campsite nearby. :D ;D

After presenting the artifact to KirkPA, we both agreed to perform a VDI test on the ole White's XL Pro 6000. Yes, folks, this artifact was recovered with my 90s-style analog machine that came off of the production line when the zoyster and KirkPA were only 5 years old. :D :D I have always believed in the analog machines, and am looking forward to sending the "bad boy" back to White's for a calibration in the near metal detecting future. :D

I hope the "Relic Hunting Gods" are treating everyone with coppas, clad, and other cute relics for 2008. :D

Finds003.jpg

Finds006.jpg

Bone Dry Detecting...Kyle

Upvote 0
Whats up there research King? How have you been? I haven't been out since late November and needless to say I'm going through withdrawal. I'm having trouble typing right now because my hands are shaking. I'm sure my doctor would think I was crazy if I told him to medicate me because of my metal detecting withdrawal symptoms.

I'm glad you guys are getting out. Sounds like the crew has some great sites lined up. I'm looking forward to watching the B. D. D. coppa total grow as the year moves on. Take care bro.

Rob

Zoyboy,

You definitely proved the analog machines can still compete! :D I couldn't even imagine the signal it gave off. If you would be so kind, where did it read at on your meter? :D

I am very proud to say that you are my analog brother. :D

I am also glad to hear that you will be sending the "bad boy" in for calibration. :D Keep that machine until it takes its last breath, then send it back to White's to fix, then once you get it back all fixed up, run it to the ground some more with your skills until it breaks again for being so frickin' old, then send it back again to White's until they get so sick that they won't fix it up anymore for being so sick of your liking of this super old machine and because they won't have anymore 1990s bolts to hold the thing together anymore (a very wordy, run-on sentence spoken from a soul who will follow in the same footsteps). :D

BDD...Kirk

It *looks* like a two-piece button...but hard to tell anything about it really. Do you have a close-up of the front? That one must've been laying on top of an iron nail for 140 years LOL. I'll be interested in seeing what it is if you can figure out a way to remove the rusty crud. Buttons like that usually don't rust that way (they were two piece brass buttons, after all). There is a possibility that it had an iron or steel back--in which case it would be much more modern--although the style of its construction is certainly consistent with its being of the Eagle Button persuasion.

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back