Post Medieval (Ca. 1600 - 1700) Openwork Bridle Boss!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks - been a while! Just returned from a family vacation from a former British island and found this beauty! It appears to be a bridle rosette, but my four other rosettes that I found in the US last year seem to be cast pewter/lead that is gilted. This one is appears to be a solid copper alloy (bronze) and appears to be a great deal more ornate and primitive. I can't explain the "rust-like" stains on it as it almost id'ed as silver and not at all in the iron range. It's not quite symmetrical like my others and there are possibly minute traces of what appear to be silver plating or something when viewed through a loupe. The dimensions are approx 2-1/4 x 2-1/4.

The Spanish were on this island before the Brits and I won't reveal the age of the house it was found near so as not to bias your estimate on age. Thanks for any help on this one!!

Attachments

• Bridle Rosette (obverse).jpg
    Bridle Rosette (obverse).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 976
  • Bridle Rosette (reverse).jpg
    Bridle Rosette (reverse).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 754
Re: Bridle Rosette? - Never Seen One Like This Before!

the holes say it might have been a furniture decoration..

Upvote 0

Can you post a pic of the back of it? Breezie

Upvote 0

The second pic is the back of it. The first is the front. The center of the item is dome shaped.

Upvote 0

I have some reservations about my own idea 'cause it isn't symetrical but it looks like the base for an old paper spindle. I would think that those would have been symetrical. Just an idea.
Mitch

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Excellent id Pete! :notworthy: You nailed it for sure and with a very close similar (and beautiful) find :thumbsup: The base metal is, as far as I can tell, a copper alloy as opposed to the type of metal I have seen in my rosettes (probably because of where it was employed on the horse) and my item definitely has the two attachment points that Kiwi pointed out (thanks). The age of the house on the property fits in well with the date on the property where yours was found. This is a beautiful relic -- very ornate when looked at closely, and now I have an id.

I'm hoping that someone might shed some light on the country of manufacture, method (cast, hand wrought, etc), and its approximate age. (I'll not add the solved flag quite yet, though you did solve it, as I'd like some more folks to view the thread and try to answer these questions.

Thanks again Pete!!

Timekiller said:
Not a rosette but a open work bridle boss. :thumbsup: Sorta like this one.
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Small Finds/Bridle_Bosses/Webpages/18CV60-Boss-OpenworkStar.htm
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Upvote 0

Thanks Mike! I believe this item was either lost or discarded because it broke where one of the rivets was attached. I noticed the two mouting holes myself and now know how they were employed. I think the second hole is the partial hole to the left of your upper red circle. Thanks again for your pic! :thumbsup:

trikikiwi said:
I have to agree with you Pete - I think both yours and Erik's examples are very similar, including what appears to be opposing attachment points, as I suggest in the pic.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

trikikiwi said:
Timekiller said:
Not a rosette but a open work bridle boss. :thumbsup: Sorta like this one.
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Small Finds/Bridle_Bosses/Webpages/18CV60-Boss-OpenworkStar.htm
Take Care,

I have to agree with you Pete - I think both yours and Erik's examples are very similar, including what appears to be opposing attachment points, as I suggest in the pic.

Cheers, Mike
Both the fixing points look counter sunk, as if to take screws :P it looks very much like a Furniture Escutcheon, not a Boss :icon_thumleft:

If it were a Boss or Rosette, there would be three or four fixing points on the back were the lugs would have been.

SS

Upvote 0

Thanks for your post, but none of my rosettes have "fixing points," but employed a pin mechanism (missing) which left attachment tab markings on the reverse. The "countersink" that you are seeing is on the wrong side of the item (that's the reverse pic that is showing what appears to be a countersink), so I believe it's just a remnant from the application of the rivets or where they wore down an area of the item (the other hole does not have the same "countersink"). I think Pete is 100% correct in his assessment as both openwork bosses are very similar in nature and design.

Silver Searcher said:
Both the fixing points look counter sunk, as if to take screws :P it looks very much like a Furniture Escutcheon, not a Boss :icon_thumleft:

If it were a Boss or Rosette, there would be three or four fixing points on the back were the lugs would have been.

SS

Upvote 0
Re: Colonial-Era Octogonal Openwork Bridle Boss!

http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Small Finds/Bridle_Bosses/Webpages/BridleBossesByStyle.htm :wink:
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Small Finds/Bridle_Bosses/BridleBossesIntroduction.htm :wink:
Take Care,

Defining Attributes

Bridle bosses are decorative metal pieces that were attached to the sides of some curb bits during the colonial period. They are usually made of copper alloy, and have two tabs or integrated holes that allow them to be attached to curb bits with iron or brass rivets. Bridle bosses conceal the area where the bit’s mouth-pieces and cheek pieces attach.

Terminology

Bridle bosses are also known as cheek bosses or cheek pieces, though the term “cheek piece” also applies to other parts of a bridle bit. The bridle bosses shown on this site were used specifically on curb bits as opposed to other bits such as snaffle bits and bridoons. For images and descriptions of these bit types, click here. Curb bits are specialized bits used for steering and stopping. They could be used on saddle horses for riding or driving and harness horses for pulling carts, coaches, etc.

Chronology

Bridle bosses vary depending on the molds used by the manufacturers, but similarities in styles are evident over time. Based on the current assemblage at the MAC Lab, it seems that elaborate bridle bosses with decorative molded patterns and openwork tend to be found on sites with 17th-century components and upper class inhabitants. Plain dome shapes with a nipple at center and plain round rivet tabs are found on 17th and 18th-century sites. Plain dome shapes that generally have wider rivet tabs with concave sides tend to be found only on 18th-century sites. The trend therefore seems to be a decrease in ornamentation over time. A similar trend is seen in the metal pieces that decorated the leather straps on horse accoutrements. As the sample size of both leather ornaments and bridle bosses at the MAC Lab increases we hope to test and refine these general chronological trends.

How to Navigate the Bridle Bosses

This website shows all of the bridle bosses that have been located in the MAC Lab’s collections, and they can be searched by style category or by viewing all photos. Click on any thumbnail image for larger photos of the front and back, measurements, and details on site context and date range. Click on any site number or name to link to a page summarizing that site’s history and excavation.

Upvote 0

Erik in NJ said:
Thanks for your post, but none of my rosettes have "fixing points," but employed a pin mechanism (missing) which left attachment tab markings on the reverse. The "countersink" that you are seeing is on the wrong side of the item (that's the reverse pic that is showing what appears to be a countersink), so I believe it's just a remnant from the application of the rivets or where they wore down an area of the item (the other hole does not have the same "countersink"). I think Pete is 100% correct in his assessment as both openwork bosses are very similar in nature and design.

Silver Searcher said:

SS
8 Point Furniture Escutcheon..almost the same, but heh call it what you want :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• 1288461745A.jpg
    1288461745A.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,051
Upvote 0

I see your point SS, but the Furniture Escutcheon you posted does not have the two diametrically opposing mounting holes which are on each of the examples in Pete's link. In fact it appears that your item was mounted through the center.

If you look at Pete's link it is fairly self-evident that my item is one of these....the base metal, timeframe, two opposing mounting holes, dome, nipple, and diameter/height all support it being an openwork bridle boss.

Best, Erik

Upvote 0

either way it's old and it's cool..please post pictures after you remove the encrustations.

Upvote 0

Is this it?

boss.JPG

Period from: POST MEDIEVAL [scope notes | view all attributed records]
Date from: Circa AD 1600
Date to: Circa AD 1700

Dimensions and weight
Weight: 23.33 g
Diameter: 54.36 mm
Quantity: 1

Materials and construction
Primary material: Copper alloy

DCMatt