Post colonial site gives up a mystery find.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not Yet Solved! Post colonial site gives up a mystery find.

This tiny piece was found at one of my post colonial sites. I've already found about a dozen watch winders there (including one solid gold winder).

The hole doesn't go through to the other side on this mystery piece, and the end has a tapered thread.

The majority of the buttons and coins found at the site fall between 1790 and 1840, but some are much older than that.

Image42.jpg

Last edited:
Neil,

Your find is one of the attachment posts for a brass bail handle drawer pull, from 18th Century or very early 19th Century furniture such as Chippendale or Queen Anne style. The hole only goes part way in, as this is designed to hold one end of the bail type handle. The post would go through a decorative backplate, then the wood drawer face, and was fastened on the back with a washer and/or nut. These are seen in various shapes and sizes, and quite often seen with other period brass furniture hardware recovered from early homesites.

The Furniture Detective: Old Brass ? Or Is It? | WorthPoint

Early 19th Century Brass Chippendale Batwing Bail Pull Hardware - bore 2 3/16

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, when I first saw it I was thinking bottle stopper. Been wrong before though.

That would be one tiny bottle!!!

Neil,

Your find is one of the attachment posts for a brass bail handle drawer pull, from 18th Century or very early 19th Century furniture such as Chippendale or Queen Anne style. The hole only goes part way in, as this is designed to hold one end of the bail type handle. The post would go through a decorative backplate, then the wood drawer face, and was fastened on the back with a washer and/or nut. These are seen in various shapes and sizes, and quite often seen with other period brass furniture hardware recovered from early homesites.

The Furniture Detective: Old Brass ? Or Is It? | WorthPoint

Early 19th Century Brass Chippendale Batwing Bail Pull Hardware - bore 2 3/16

CC Hunter

Thanks CC!! Looks like you got it!

Upvote 0
That would be one tiny bottle!!!

Thanks CC!! Looks like you got it!
I don't think it is what CC posted in his links, I find quite a few of the items in the link posted, we call them draw pull pomels, all the ones I have seen have a coller under the ball, the one you posted does'nt seem to have one, plus it seems very short from the picture you provided. UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it is what CC posted in his links, I find quite a few of the items in the link posted, we call them draw pull pomels, all the ones I have seen have a coller under the ball, the one you posted does'nt seem to have one, plus it seems very short from the picture you provided. UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS

hmmmm

Upvote 0
Neil I would bet $20 that this furniture artifact is from the mid to late 18th century and not the 19th @ all. Looks like you got a good hot:thumbsup: spot!

Upvote 0

SS

SS,

These brass posts or pommels for furniture pulls, are noted in various shapes and sizes, as mentioned earlier. The example Neil has, is likely from a miniature chest, from the American Colonial period. The absence of a collar or shoulder in the one we see here, may be a design variation due to particular regional manufacture, or quite possibly due to the smaller size for use in a miniature furniture application (with smaller hand-made items, it is much easier to simplify details). While this particular piece may be a "dachshund", rather than a "greyhound", the fact will remain we still have a "hound"! :icon_thumright:

1778 Chippendale Miniature Walnut Chest | Roadshow Archive | PBS

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
SS,

These brass posts or pommels for furniture pulls, are noted in various shapes and sizes, as mentioned earlier. The example Neil has, is likely from a miniature chest, from the American Colonial period. The absence of a collar or shoulder in the one we see here, may be a design variation due to particular regional manufacture, or quite possibly due to the smaller size for use in a miniature furniture application (with smaller hand-made items, it is much easier to simplify details). While this particular piece may be a "dachshund", rather than a "greyhound", the fact will remain we still have a "hound"! :icon_thumright:

1778 Chippendale Miniature Walnut Chest | Roadshow Archive | PBS

CC Hunter
CC...you would'nt get much leverage/pull on the one the OP posted, unless part of the thread from the pomell is missing, it just looks to small to give a good grab :dontknow: and I have never come across one that small, but I'm not saying 100% it's not one, just my three-peneth :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
Neil I would bet $20 that this furniture artifact is from the mid to late 18th century and not the 19th @ all. Looks like you got a good hot:thumbsup: spot!

Like I said in the original post, most of the buttons are from the 1790's to the 1840's. Coins are a bit more difficult to date because they could circulate for 100 years, although most of the ones found at the site fall into the range mentioned. Buttons were more timely because the fashions changed.

Here are some of my latest silvers from the site. There are quite a bit more of these and more than two dozen coppers. I guess you could call it a hot spot!

005.JPG 009.JPG

Upvote 0
Like I said in the original post, most of the buttons are from the 1790's to the 1840's. Coins are a bit more difficult to date because they could circulate for 100 years, although most of the ones found at the site fall into the range mentioned. Buttons were more timely because the fashions changed.

Here are some of my latest silvers from the site. There are quite a bit more of these and more than two dozen coppers. I guess you could call it a hot spot!

View attachment 763174 View attachment 763181
And it looks like those silvers were in circulation for a long time, before they were lost...nice :icon_thumright:

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back