✅ SOLVED Possibly some sort of Shell/Cannon primer?

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg

This was found next to some 45.70 government shell casing's at the base of a hand stacked stone wall, looks like cover for a firing position made out of brass just like a bullet casing but thicker appears to have a primer in the end and notches to be able to be tightened . Any help please..

It does look like one, I'm not sure what type of shell it would be for... I had a reference page bookmarked somewhere and if I can find that I'll see if I can ID it...

Upvote 0
The first thing that came to my mind was one of those old property marker things,but I don't think that is what is.might be some kind of shell fuse?

Upvote 0
It's not a primer (also called an igniter) for a cannon or an artillery shell, it is the primer for an artillery projectile's propellant-powder casing. Basically the same as the primer in a bullet's metallic casing, but much larger. Yours has a deep firing-pin imprint at the center of its base, so it is a "used" one. Without any maker's-markings, yours is difficult to specifically ID or time-date. Based on your finding .45-70 rifle bullet casings nearby, and based on the time of earliest use of metallic-cartridge artillery projectiles in the US, your primer dates from about 1880 at the earliest and perhaps as late as World War One army artillery practice firings. Of course, Spanish-American War (1898) practice is also a possibility. The old .45-70 Springfield Rifle was still being used for training recruits during both of those wars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses guys, this one had me stumped. Dirt robber believes it to be a rare 1873 Maynard Cartridge. The pics seems to back the ID.
image.jpeg

Upvote 0
Based on the pics backing his ID, I have to agree with Dirt robber. :)

I've seen 1870s Maynard bullets, but never a complete cartridge from that era. Now knowing its ID, I was able to find it at the Cartridge Collector Exchange website, here:
THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR
Its resemblance to an artillery propellant-powder casing's primer is remarkable.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back