✅ SOLVED Possibly marble wheel???

OhioFinds

Oct 15, 2012
lorain, Ohio
Detector(s) used
My eye's, hand's, and occasional shovel!! Basically, just my sixth sense!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue on this one, except that it appears to be some type of wheel, maybe made from marble or something similar. I would estimate it to be between 15 and 20 pound's, but don't hold me to that statement, I do not have a scale of any type!!! :icon_scratch: P4180412.JPGP4180413.JPGP4180413.JPGP4180417.JPGP4180419.JPG

It is the base to an old lamp. It might be worth a few buck to the right antique buyer.

345697292_detail.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thank's DCMatt, but to me that one in pic, and only one I could find a pic of look the same as each other, but a somewhat different shape than what I found. Do you have a link to that pic, so I can compare them more closely? Mine is the exact same dimensions on both side's, but the pic you posted, and the pic I found online seem to be a little bit shallower on one side.

Upvote 0
Do a Google images search using "marble lamp base". You'll see loads of pictures of these. However, yours is OLD and you are not likely to find an exact match on line.

I'm pretty sure you have a lamp base.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I have cut and polished alot of stone in my life, if it isnt worth a lot you could restore it and adapt a modern lamp to use it on or use it as a pedestal for something else, marble sands quite easily to remove any scatches or chips, just use consecutively finer grits of sandpaper like sanding wood, then clear coat with commercially available clear coats that mimic a polished surface.........may end up being a really nice piece when done, to get some idea if the marble looks nice simply wet the piece, will give you some idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you both, I have found a few that are similar except this is larger. Also from searching, I have determined that it is made out of Onyx. I don't know anything about Onyx yet, but I have plenty of time on my hand's. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
It never occured to me that it could be onyx, but yeah upon closer exam of pics the brown viening is a dead give away, good catch on that ID of material Ohio :icon_thumleft:, I bet it would be a beautifull piece restored.Could you post pics of before and after if you do restore? would be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It never occured to me that it could be onyx, but yeah upon closer exam of pics the brown viening is a dead give away, good catch on that ID of material Ohio :icon_thumleft:, I bet it would be a beautifull piece restored.Could you post pics of before and after if you do restore? would be interesting to see.

Once I can afford to do something with it, I have a couple idea's of what to do with it. A lamp is what I am leaning towards since that's most likely what it was. Now I will start looking for the pipe part of an old lamp, and I will try to make it "vintage" in appearance.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back