Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible WWI Soldier's Name

I was looking at some of my older finds today and on the back of the box to my WWI New York Guard Service Medal I saw this script name.
I think this might be the name of the man who received the medal. Can anyone help me figure it out?

It would be neat to discover this man's history, if it is indeed a name that is.
DSC08755.JPG
DSC03809.JPG

Looks like the last name is "Gore"

Agreed.
I have a possible person for you - there is a man who would've been in his teens during WWI, then served in WW2, would that work? Do you know about the medal? Is it for service stateside, which would possibly include teenagers, as well as those too old or infirm to serve? Anyway, a clue for you to follow up - contact the person posting the flowers at this FindAGrave site: Howard Joseph Gore (1902 - 1963) - Find A Grave Memorial
(the index from the National Cem Assoc has slightly different info:
Name:Howard Joseph Gore
Service Info.:LT/COL US ARMY WORLD WAR II
Birth Date:4 Jul 1902
Death Date:27 Dec 1963
Cemetery:Long Island National Cemetery
Cemetery Address:2040 Wellwood Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735-1211
Buried At:Section 2k Site 5028

Meanwhile, I will keep trying to find an obit for him to see if that works. If there is a date on the back of the medal, a newspaper might have covered the ceremony and give you more info that way as well. Your local library may be able to point you towards the right resource to pursue as well. Hope this is helpful!
Tigger

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, I will keep trying to find an obit for him to see if that works. If there is a date on the back of the medal, a newspaper might have covered the ceremony and give you more info that way as well. Your local library may be able to point you towards the right resource to pursue as well. Hope this is helpful!
Tigger

The medal has the dates "1917-1919" written on the back. Excellent info, thanks! I'll do more research on this :thumbsup:
DSC03810.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back