Attachments

• iron trade ax below view 1.JPG
    iron trade ax below view 1.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 249
  • iron trade ax upside down side view 1.JPG
    iron trade ax upside down side view 1.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0
wow guys , i'm not trying to pull teeth here ...
just try to get some opinions , don't feel bad to let me have it ...

Looks like a axe dont know the age though.

Heavy rust would imply age. The rounded upper blade would probably be better for throwing than chopping. I would put a handle on it and throw it. But then that's just me. You would probably and understandably value it too much for that.

Last edited:
It is definitely a trade axe. Soak it in vinegar for a month and the rust should fall off. There is probably a makers mark on it. Nice find!

I am not sure the top edge has not been ground off. Good candidate for electrolysis. I am doing a bunch now. My trade axe is so thin already I am just sealing it.

I am not sure the top edge has not been ground off. Good candidate for electrolysis. I am doing a bunch now. My trade axe is so thin already I am just sealing it.

What is the proper sequence to mix lye and water for the soak? Is it lye into the water? That seems to be the way I remember it. Also, do you connect the positive or negative battery charger lead to the axe, or is it the other way around.I seem to remember one lead connects to a second iron object in the liquid mixture.I have a small trade axe from Alabama that needs cleaning pretty bad.

I just use salt and a little laundry soap. Kinda like mash gets it working. Even Cascade dish water soap works[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] the negative is attached to the relic and the pos to stainless or copper. Read up on this before you do it. There are sections here on t-net that show how to do it. You can also use apple cider vinegar as a soak but be careful cause it will flash rust.
Good luck and welcome to t-net Paleodog.
TnMtns
[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back