Possible Spear head?

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out fishing and detecting today, didn't find too much(and didn't catch any fish :( )...but did come across one interesting item. When I saw it I instantly thought it looked like a spear head, but then again I have no experience with that type of thing :tongue3:. It's made of copper, rather large...appears crudely made. So I got no idea if this is a spear head, something else, or just trash.

IMG_20140517_221746.jpg
IMG_20140517_221757.jpg
IMG_20140517_221727.jpg
Not sure if the weight matters but took a pic just in case.

Thanks for any help you can provide T-Net.

I could be from the old copper culture.They were in Michigan and that area.But it is thought they did some trading with the more southern tribes.being copper it was more than likely made from flow copper.Very neat find

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, and info :). I'm actually in the north part of the country in southern NH, is it possible they did some trading here?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, and info :). I'm actually in the north part of the country in southern NH, is it possible they did some trading here?
Could have been traded there or hammered there. There were small pockets of copper scattered all around. Not much is known about the Copper People. Tony

Upvote 0
In your first photo, is that the texture of the copper or is it corroded?

I ask because it looks like it was poured from molten copper into a sand mold or similar technique, the other side (top) also looks like it was poured, as well as the area that it would be attached to a shaft, looks like the molten copper ran out before filling that section of the mold.

The item just doesn't look to be hammered out or cut out of a larger piece to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Defiantly the texture of the copper.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back