Possible Ship Wreck Timber

Andy C

Nov 12, 2017
North East
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Just discovered this site today and although the item I am posting is not treasure I was wondering if anyone has any info on it. Found whilst walking the beach this morning,it appears to be timber from a shipwreck and is peppered with copper nails,is there a way of dating such an item and were copper nails commonly used in a certain era of shipbuilding. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20171112_100256.jpg
    20171112_100256.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 154
  • 20171112_100300.jpg
    20171112_100300.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
Upvote 1
Very nice find. Copper nails and roves were most commonly used with the advent of the industrial revolution 1760-1820 as the process of manufacturing and mass production were perfected. Even a small boat can have thousands of fasteners holding it together. Copper nails and roves, a type of rivet, require a portable anvil to install the rove in place and is a two person operation.
I always look for parts of boats when at the beach and have found pieces of wood with copper fasteners. I am on the east coast of Canada where there are lots of ship wrecks. My Shipwright instructor was a former British Navy Shipwright.

Minas Man

Welcome to Tnet.

I'm not a nail expert, but I would think you need to see the whole nail to make an informed judgement.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back