Possible Saw Mill Hardware? In a Civil War Camparea.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Saw Mill Hardware? In a Civil War Camp area.

A couple of weeks ago I hunted a Camp and Route taken by some 5000+ Union Troops of Sherman. Anyway I found a 6x8 indention in the middle of the woods near a river. All four corners were polluted with square nails. So I figure there was a wood box lining the hole (Saw Dust Pit?) at one point. In the dirt I found several interchangeable saw teeth bits, 2 1/2" Standard to be exact! LOL. OK, I figure I found an old saw mill site. Up the hill about 25 yards was a large Oak tree and at the base there were 4 of these bars. Partially grown into tree and about 3 inches down. They were stacked 2 and 2 side by side tight together. They measure 10 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. There are 2 holes 1/2 inch wide on each bar. One side of the bar is flat while the other side is curved evenly. They appear to have been sharp along both edges.

Do you think or know if these are related to a saw mill? Any other ideas? Just for the record I don't think the possible Saw Mill or its relic have anything to do with the troop in the area. But it could have. Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_20171212_214053923.jpgIMG_20171212_214215379.jpgIMG_20171212_214146453.jpg

I have moved and set up several old saw mills. I have seen pieces somewhat like those used as connectors or braces(but you see them on other things also). As far as replaceable bits you will see new style saws on older mills.

Upvote 0
looks similar to the metal lifting bar from a wood hatch cover from a ship. a little larger,but maybe for a similar use.

Upvote 0
I have moved and set up several old saw mills. I have seen pieces somewhat like those used as connectors or braces(but you see them on other things also). As far as replaceable bits you will see new style saws on older mills.

Hmm, Didn't think about that. It could be some sort of connector, thanks. The saw teeth I found matched a diagram from the 1800's. But I think they are closer to the 1900,s. But the nails are confusing date wise. So maybe your correct about newer teeth on older saws. Heres a photo, no very good one though.
Tooth.jpg

Upvote 0
Similar pieces were used to connect two railroad rails together.

There is a railroad not far away but I don't think that one is old enough. Also there is a sizable Gold Mine on the property so it could have been from a small gauge track for ore buckets I guess. I don't see any evidence of tracks, just wagon roads. And yes I will eventually search for dropped gold around the mine. LOL

Upvote 0
looks similar to the metal lifting bar from a wood hatch cover from a ship. a little larger,but maybe for a similar use.

That's an interest thought! There is no large lakes or ocean nearby but there is a shallow river, not suitable for deep hull ships. But it gets me to thinking maybe it has to do with the Gold Mine. Maybe a wood cover or doors or ore chutes or something had them to lift. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back